Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

WHITEBORO. A town in section 10, Jefferson Township. It was platted in 1856 as Buena Vista, but the name was soon changed to Whiteboro. Its post office ran from 1856 to 1903. It prospered until the establishment of Logan four miles to its southwest. Harrison


WHITEFIELD. A village and railroad station in the eastern part of section 31, Fairfield Township. Post office, 1886-91. Jefferson


WHITESBURG. A coal mining town in the northwestern part of Bluff Creek Township. Post office, 1914-19. Monroe


WHITNEYVILLE. In section 8, later in section 6, and again in section 16, Massena Township. Post office, 1861-85. Cass


WICKLIFFE. A post office from 1843 to 1873 near where now stands the town of Green Island. Jackson


WIDOW POST. In section 29, Post Township. Shown on maps of 1855-56. Allamakee


WIDOW'S HOME. The name of a post office at or near the location of the present village of Union Mills in 1850. Widow's Home post office was changed to Union Mills in that year. Mahaska


WILKINS. In the southwest quarter of section 23, Highland Township, near the banks of the Middle Raccoon River. A town was laid out here but proved to be only a town on paper. Guthrie


WILLARD. A station on the C., M. & St. P. Railway in the southwestern part of Polk Township. Post office 1890-1906. Wapello


WILLDA. A post office from 1873 to 1875 in the eastern part of section 22, Grant Township. Lyon


WILLIAMS POINT. A place a short distance north of the center of Troy Township, as shown on maps of 1862 to 1869. Wright


WILLIAMS. In southwestrn part of Eldorado Township. Post office, 1858-65. Benten


WILLIAMSBURG. The name of the village that later (1870) became the present town of Eldon. The name of the post office was Williamsburg from 1868 to 1871. Wapello


WILLIAMSTOWN . Another name by which was known the hamlet of Frank Pierce. Williamstown was platted as a village in 1854. Johnson


WILLIAMSVILLE. Listed in the 1869 U. S. Official Register as a post office in Jasper County, and thought to have been in the neighborhood of Woodville (see below). Jasper


WILLIAMTOWN. A village in the northeast corner of section 13, Richland Township. Post office, 1859=1903. Chickasaw


WILLIMANTIC. A post office from 1856 to 1858 and from 1861 to 1863 in section 23, Fremont Township. Winneshiek


WILLITS. A hamJet, former railroad station and post office from 1872 to 1894, excepting the interruption of a few discontinuances, located in section 1, Vernon Township, about midway between Farmington and Mount Sterling. Van Buren


WILLOUGHBY. In the western part of section 9, Beaver Township. Laid out in 1856. Post office, 1857-85. Butler


WILLOW CREEK. In section 36, Clay Township. Post office, 1871-1900. Clay


WILLOW DALE. The pioneer name of the present town of Battle Creek. Willow Dale was the post office from 1871 to 1875.  Ida


WILLOW GROVE. A post office (1871-79) in the southeastern part of Lafayette Township. Story


WILLOW. A hamlet and post office (1860-66) in the central part of Rockford Township on the Boyer River. Pottawattamie


WILLSON'S GROVE. In section 15, Bennezette Township. Post office 1878-80. Butler


WILMINGTON. A post office in 1855 in section 24, Palmyra Township, some two or three miles northwest of the old village of Palmyra. Warren


WILMINGTON. A village platted in 1857 on government lots 1, 2 and 8, section 4, Thompson Township. Because of the appearance of its sod houses it was jokingly called Gopher Station, and the name stuck. Abandoned when Dalmanutha, a mile and a half southwest, grew up. Guthrie


WILMINGTON. In the south section 4 of Benton Township. Surveyed in 1855 and plat recorded in 1858. Town seems not to have Materialized. Benten


WILSON. A post office (1870-79) in the northwestern part of Pilot Grove Township. Montgomery


WILSON. The original name of the present town of Victor. The name was changed from Wilson to Victor in 1862 when the post office of Victor, which had been in existence from 1854, and located about two miles to the south, was removed to near the newly built C., R. I. & P. depot. Iowa


WILSON'S FORD. In the southwestern part of Taylor Township, Post office, 1857-63. Allamakee


WILSON'S GROVE. In the southern part of Sumner Township. Post office, 1863-67. BremerWILSON'S GROVE. In the western part of Banks Township. Post office, 1861-73. Fayette


WILSON'S. In the south section 9 of Cass Township, about two miles southeast of Panora, as shown on maps of 1857. Guthrie


WILSONVILLE. A post office (1872-1901) in the southern part of section 9, Cedar Township. Van Buren


WIMER’S MILLS. A post office from 1854 to 1862, in section 3, Jackson Township, on the South Skunk River. If you can add any information for the towns above please drop us an email. Keokuk


WINDHAM. A village in the central part of section 34, Hardin Township. Laid out in 1854. One store still remains. post office, 1854-1902. Johnson


WINDSOR. An early name of the present town of Conway, as appears on maps of 1870. Taylor


WINDSOR. In section 5, Windsor Township. Post office, 1855-89. Fayette


WINDSOR. The former name of the present town of Farmersburg. Clayton


WINLAND.  (See Pattersonville). Sioux


WINNESHIEK. A post office (1851-65) in the southeastern part of Bloomfield Township. Winneshiek


WINONA. In the southwestern part of section 13, Wayne Township. Post office, 1871-75. Henry


WIRT. The former name of the present town of Ellston. Wirt was the name of the post office from 1882 to 1895. Ringgold


WISCONSIN. Post office (1865-66) in the northern, part of section 19, Belmont Township, at or near the location of the present town of Milo. Warren


WISCOTTA. In sections 4 and 5, Union Township, about one mile south of the present town of Redfield. It was platted and was for a few years a prosperous village. Post office, 1855-61. Dallas


WITTEMBURG. In the eastern part of section 3, Newton Township, about four miles north of the city of Newton. It was platted in 1856, and the Wittemburg Manual Lahor College was established there. A Congregational church still remains. Jasper


WOLF CREEK. A post office (1857-73) slightly northeast of the central part of Perry Township, and a short distance southeast of the present town of Traer. Tama


WOLFDALE. A country post office (1869-97) which occupied several different locations in farm houses in Wolf Creek Township. Woodbury


WOODBRIDGE. In the southeastern part of section 32, Center Township. Post office, 1847-69. Cedar


WOODBRIDGE. In the western part of Scott Township, as shown on maps of 1857. Floyd


WOODBURY. The name of the post office at the town of Sergeants Bluff from 1862 to 1870. Woodbury


WOODLAWN. A post office one and one-half miles south of the city of Mount Pleasant, in existence for a short time in the early 1880's. Henry


WOODS MILLS. The early name of the present town of Mount Sterling. Van Buren


WOODS. In central part of Monroe Township. Post office, 1857-63. Benten


WOODSIDE. A post office (1876-86) in section 8, Frankville Township. Winneshiek


WOODSTOCK. The name first given (1888) to the present village and railroad station of Gaza. O'Brien


WOODVILLE. A post office (1866-87) in the western part of seetion 26, Greenwood Township. Winneshiek


WOODVlLLE.. A station on the Des Moines Valley Railroad in the western part of Washington Township, as shown on maps from 1868 to 1878. Jasper


WOOLEYVILLE. A hamlet in the southwestern part of section 1, Fox River Township, about three miles west of Drakesville. Davis


WOOLSTOCK. The post office of Woolstock from 1868 to 1881 was some two miles east of the present town of that name. Wright


WOOSTER. In the western part of section 13, Cedar Township. Post office, 1853-91. Jefferson


WOOSTER. Laid out in 1855 in the southwestern part of section 21, Knox Township. A little later New Town was laid out adjacent and to the east of Wooster. Later Parma occupied a location at or near where Wooster had stood. Pottawattamie


WORTH. In North Township. first in section 23, and later in three other locations in that part of the township without changing the name. It ran from 1863 to 1869. Boone


WORTHINGTON. Laid out as a town in 1857 in the eastern part of section 32, Madison Township. It was only a hamlet, a store and a few dwellings. Its post office was North. Madison


WYOMING. A town on the bank of the Mississippi River about one mile west of Salem as shown on the Black Hawk Purchase map, and other maps as late as 1854. At the time of the original survey, 1837, Upper Wyoming and Lower Wyoming were found platted in the same locality. Post office, 1838-1845. Muscatine

Page 3 of 4

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 3 of  3

Page

1

2

3

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - W (Page 3)