Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

WEBSTER. Laid out as a town in 1855 along tile central part of the north line of section 6, Webster Township. It never became much more than a hamlet. Its post office was Middle River. Madison


WEBSTER. Listed in the U. S. Offical Register of 1851 as a post office in Allamakce County, but not found on maps of that period. Allamakee


WEEPING WILLOW. A post office in West Grove Township from 1853 to 1855. It seems to have been about two miles west and one-fourth mile south of the present village of West Grove, and the predecessor of the present post office of West Grove. Davis


WEESTFIELD. The pioneer name of the western and older portion of the present town of Fayette. Westfield was laid out in 1851, and Fayette four years later. Fayette


WELD'S LANDING. In the northeast corner of Peru Township. Post office, 1851-59. Dubuque


WELLAND. Tn southeast corner of Franklin Township. Post office, 1859-63. Appanoose


WELLER. A post office in section 21, Cedar Township, from 1856 to 1907. Monroe


WELLS MILLS. The post office 1851-71, at Hillstown. Appanoose


WELLS. A post office from 1871 to 1896 in section 6, Grand River Township. Madison


WELLSBURG. A post office (1869-75) in the southwestern part of Colfax Township. Page


WELTON. In section 3, Welton Township. A village founded in 1850, consisting of a colony of English Artisans. It existed only a few years. The present Welton is over a mile south of the orginal one. Clinton


WENDELL. In central part of Willow Township, as shown on maps of 1887. Cherokee


WENTWORTH. A post office (1858-93) in section 36, Wayne Township. It was the successor of Dureau. Mitchell


WEST ALBANY. The name of the post office from 1873 to 1881 at the village of Albany. Fayette


WEST ALEXANDER. A post office in 1864 to 1865 in section 30, Cedar Township. Lucas


WEST AUBURN. A village in the central part of section 26, Auburn Township, adjoining Auburn on the northwest. The villages of Auburn, West Auburn, and Massilon constituted a group of milling villages on the Little Turkey River. Fayette


WEST BEND. A post office in the central part of West Bend Township some three miles southwest of the present town of West Bend and on the far side of the West fork of Des Moines river, as shown on maps from 1863-1881. Palo Alto


WEST BUFFALO. The name of the post office from 1841 to 1857 in a portion of the town of Buffalo. Scott


WEST DAYTON. The name of the post office (1858-77) at the present town of Dayton. Webster


WEST FORK. A post office (1862-73) in the eastern part of Lake Township. Monona


WEST lRVING. The name of the post office from 1858 to 1875 at the village of Irving. Tama


WEST LAKE. In Twin Lakes Township. Post office, 1897. Hancock


WEST LIBERTY. A place about two miles south of Fort Des Moines as shown on maps of 1855 to 1868. Polk


WEST LONDON. Laid out as a town in 1847, in section 18, Benton Township, but never developed. Keokuk


WEST MILTON. In the southwestern part of section 10, Penn Township. A town was p1atted in 1855 but only a few buildings were erected. Post office, 1856-61. Guthrie


WEST PILOT. In section 15, Pilot Township. Post office, 1872-89.Iowa


WEST POINT. The early name of the present town of Bristow.  Butler


WEST PORT LOUISA. A town laid out in 1849 in the south part of section 6 and the north part of 7, township 74 north, range 2 west. It was about one-half mile west of Port Louisa and although the older town of the two, became of secondary importance. Louisa


WEST PRAIRIE. A post office from 1867 to 1885 in the northwestern part of section 26, Spring Grove Township. Linn


WEST SCOTT. On the west line of Scott Township. Post office, 1877-97. Buena Vista


WEST TROY. On west line of section 19, Troy Township. Post office, 1873-81. Iowa


WEST UNION. A village in the central part of section 11, Perry Township, about one mile east of the present town of Traer, as shown on maps of 1875. Tama


WEST UNION. Platted in 1854 in section 22, Jones Township, about one mile southwest of the present town of Thayer. A busy town on the stage line. Vacated in 1863. Union


WESTERN CITY. The original government survey of Richland Township was made in 1843 and the notes say, "A place on west half of section 17 called Western City was laid off for a town, but contains only two or three houses." It was about four miles northwest of Richland. It was planned to make it the county seat. Keokuk


WESTERN COLLEGE. The name of the post office at the town of Western (see below) from 1858 to 1906 Linn


WESTERN. A town laid out in 1856 in the southern part of section 34, College Township. It was the home of Western College and became quite a village. Linn


WESTERN. Listed as a post office in Poweshiek County from 1851 to 1853, but the location not found. Poweshiek


WESTFIELD. A place on the west line of section 30, Grinnell Township, on the Jasper County line, as shown on maps of 1881 and 1887. (see Lattimer's Grove) Poweshiek


WESTFIELD. A post office (1870-71) on the west line of Union Township about midway as to north and south. Worth


WESTFORD. A place shown on maps from 1856 to 1868 on Middle River at or near the location of the present village of Somerset. Warren


WESTON. Platted as a town in 1856 in the northern part of section 35, Pleasant Grove Township, but never built up. Marion


WESTPORT. The first projected town in Linn County, staked out in 1838, three years before the government survey, on the Cedar River near the present town of Bertram. Linn


WEXFORD. In the southeast corner of the east section 6, Taylor Township. Post office, 1851-61. Allamakee


WHEELER.  (See Wheeler's Grove below). Pottawattamie


WHEELER'S GROVE. A post office at the village of Eminence from 1866 to 1883 when the name of the post office was changed to Wheeler (see above) and continued to 1901. The village also took the name of Wheeler about the same time as did the post office. Pottawattamie


WHEELER'S RANCH. A post office from 1875 to 1878 in section U, Wheeler Township. Sac


WHEELING. Laid out in 1851 in the northern part of section 5, Pleasant Grove Township, two and one-half miles north of Pleasantville. Post office, 1852-1884. Marion


WHIPPLE. A post office (1876-86) in the central part of Wright Township. Pottawattamie


WHITE ASH. A post office (]873-85) in section 1 of Highland Township. Washington


WHITE BREAST. A coal mining town in the 1880's and 1890's in the western part of section 14, White Breast Township, a short distance west of Indianola

Junction on the C., B. & Q. Railroad. Lucas


WHITE BREAST. A post office from 1869 to 1879 in the southwest part of section 14 Liberty Township, on White Breast Creek. Lucas


WHITE BREAST. Near the western border of Green Bay Township. Post office, 1851-57. Clarke


WHITE CLOUD. A village and post office (1856-90) in the Northwestern part of section 2, White Cloud Township, about one mile northwest of the present

railroad station of that name. Mills


WHITE ELM. A post office in Salt Creek Township from 1893 to 1905. During most of its existence it was at a store run by John M. Carroll slightly east of the center of the west side of section 25. Davis


WHITE LANE. The name of a post office formerly called Camackville. It was located at White's Iowa Institute of Manual Labor, section 14, Cedar Township. Lee


WHITE OAK POINT. A post office (1852-54) in section 19, White Oak Township. Warren


WHITE OAK. A post office (1865-1907) in section 20, White Oak Township. Mahaska


WHITE PIGEON. Laid out as a town in 1855 in the south part of section 6, midway as to cast and west, and the north part of section 7, English River Township. Never more than a hamlet. Post office, 18581902. Keokuk


WHITE SULPHER. A hamlet and former railway station in the southern part of section 13, Buffalo Towship.  Post office 1889-1905. Scott


WHITE. A coal mining town in the northeastern part of Bluff Creek Township, as shown on maps from 1873 to 1885. Monroe

Page 2 of 4

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 2 of  3

Page

1

2

3

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - W (Page 2)