TALLAHOMA. A post office in the northern part of Jackson Township from 1853 to 1875. Lucas


TALLYRAND. A town at the intersections of sections 13, 14, 23 and 24, Clear Creek Township. Laid out in 1857 and a busy town for many years. Its post office, 1858-1927. Keokuk


TAMAVILLE. A post office (1855-63) in the southeastern part of Otter Creek Township, about seven miles east of the present city of Tama. Tama


TANKTOWN. The early name of the railroad station at the present town of Oxford. Johnson


TARA. In the northeastern part of White Water Township. Post office, 1861-65. Dubuque


TARKIO. A post office (18554-82) in the northwest corner of section 14, Tarkio Township. It was one mile northwest of Tarkio City (see below).  Page


TARKIO CITY. Platted in 1859 in the southeastern part of section 34 and the southwestern of 35, Tarkio Township. It aspired to be the county seat, but existed only a few years. Page


TAUNTON. A post office (1876-83) at or near the later post office of Felix, which see above. Warren


TAYLOR. A post office from 1851 to 1865 in section 31, Union Township, about three miles northwest of Pulaski. Davis


TAYLOR HILL. In the northwestern part of Fairfield Township. Post office, 1857-63. Grundy


TAYLOR STATION. A post office (1874-83) in the central part of Washington Township. It ran as Taylor from 1883-1907. Pottawattamie


TAYLOR'S GROVE. In southeasrern part of St. Clair Township. Pos office, 1854-63. Benten


TAYLORSVILLE. A town in sections 22 and 23, Fairfield Township. Platted in 1851. Post office, 1855-75. Fayette


TECUMSEH. A prospective town in early territorial times located somewhere on the Iowa River in Louisa County, but the exact place not found. Louisa


TEMPLE HILL. A hamlet in the northern part of section 21, Washington Township. It had a post office in 1851 to 1860, when it was discontinued but was revived again and ran from 1884 to 1901. Jones


TENOLD. A hamlet and post office (1881-1906) in the southwest corner of section 17 and the southeast corner of section 18, Brookfield Township. A store and a creamery are still there. Worth


TENVILLE. A post office from 1899 to 1901 in the southern part of Washington Township. Montgomery


TERRA HAUTE. In section 17, Burrell Township, on Grand River. Once a thriving village. Post office 1867-81. Decatur


TERRY. In Big Grove Township. Post office, 1885. Benten


TETE DES MORTS. The name of the post office from 1841 to 1851 at the present village of Saint Donatus. Jackson


THE FORKS. The pioneer name applied to Villisca, because of its being near the forks of the Middle and West Nodaway rivers. Montgomery


THOMAS. The name of the post office from 1884 to 1891 at the present village of Watterson in Lot's Creek Township. Ringgold


THOMPSONTOWN. Staked off as a town in 1847 at Floyd's Bluff. Thompsontown became the county seat, although it had but one log hut, and was until Sergeants Bluff won the prize in 1854. Woodbury


THOMPSONVILLE. A post office in the northeastern part of Cedar Township from 1863 to 1869. Monroe


THOTEN. A post office (1876-1903) in section 14, Glenwood Township. Winneshiek


THRALL. A former platted town and station on the C. & N. W. Ry. about one mile north of the present town of Goldfield. Post office 1882-1907. Wright


THREE RIVERS. A post office from 1848 to 1854 at or near the location of the present town of Hartford. Warren


TIBBOTTSVILLE. A village of rather brief existence about one-half mile southwest of the business section of the present town of Irwin on the Botna River. It had a post office from 1880 to 1882. Shelby


TIBDITT. Listed as a post office in Polk County from 1880 to 1883, but location not found. Polk


TIEVILLE. A post office from 1876 to 1878 on the bank of the Missouri River in the southwestern part of Lincoln Township, seven miles west and one mile south of Onawa. Monona


TILEVILLE. Sometimes called Narrows. A hamlet in the late 1840's where, or near where, was the post office of Montpelier. Tileville was also the name of a railroad station about four miles east of Winterset, which was near where the original hamlet of Tileville stood. Madison


TILTON. The post office of Tilton was some two and one-half miles west of the present railway station and village of Tilton from about 1871 to 1884. Poweshiek


TIMBER CREEK. A country post office (1850-82) shown on the earlier maps in the central part, then the southern part of Timber Creek Township, and later in the northeast corner of Jefferson Township. Marshall


TIME. A post office from 1859 to 1863 in the central part of Washington Township. Lucas


TINGLEY. A post office by this name was in existence near the southwest corner of Pleasant Township from 1868 to 1881, until at the latter date the present town of Tingley in the northern part of Ringgold County was established. Union


TIPPERARY. A coal mining town in Lincoln Township a few miles northeast of Chariton. It had a post office from 1916 to 1924. A few scattered houses still remain. Lucas


TIPPO. The name of the post office in 1849 where later the present village of Savannah was built. Davis


TIP TOP. The name first given to the present town of Arcadia. Carroll


TIPTON GROVE. In section 22, and later in section 26, Tipton Township. Post office, 1865-80. Hardin


TITUS. A station on the C., M. & St. P. Ry. in the northwestern part of section 28, Franklin Township, about five miles southwest of Washington. It had a post office from 1910 to 1913. Washington


TIVOLA. In section 17, Iowa Township. Post office, 1849-53. Name changed to Evergreen. Dubuque


TODDVILLE. Another name for Hillsboro. Louisa


TOM CORWIN. The name of the post office at Johnsonsport in 1851. Allamakee


TOOL'S POINT. The name first given to the present town of Monroe. It was platted in 1850 as Tool's Point, and the post office received the same name, but the change was made to Monroe a year or two later. Jasper


TORAH. Listed as a post office in Linn County from 1851 to 1853. but location not found. Linn


TOWER HILL. In section 15, Adams Township. Post office, 1856-89. Deleware


TOWNER LAKE. A post office (1879-83) in the ·southwestern part of Jefferson Township. It continued as Towner from 1883 to 1885. Polk


TOWNER.  (See Towner Lake above). Polk


TRACEY. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1869 as a post office in Dallas County. It is the present town of Van Meter. Dallas


TRADERS POINT. In the 1850's it is said to have been in the northwest quarter of section 35, township 74, range 44, on the bank of the Missouri River, about half

a mile north of the Mills County line, but maps after 1870 show it then as being a short distance south of the county line. (See Traders Point, Mills County below). It is listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County in 1852. Pottawattamie


TRADER'S POINT. A hamlet and ferry on the Missouri River near the northwest corner of Saint Mary Township, and near the Pottawattamie County line, the site

of which is washed away. (See Traders Point, Pottawattamie County above). In the 1870's there was for a few years a railroad station by the same name near the north edge of Saint Mary Township. Mills


TRANQUILITY. In southeastern part of section 16,Johns Township. Post office, 1871-79 Appanoose


TRAXLER. In the western part of section 20, Marion Township. Post office, 1893-97. Stringtown was the name of the hamlet here. Henry


TREMAINE. In the southern part of section 31, Independence Township. Post office, 1889-97. Hamilton


TRENT. The name of the post office (1874-94) at the present C. & N. W. Ry. station of Carney, in section 36, Crocker Township. Polk


TRIMELLO. In section 6, Clay Township. Post office, 1875-1900. Clay


TRIPOLI. The village was laid out in 1856 in the east part of section 33, in Frederica Township. It prospered until 1880 when it was removed almost bodily one mile south to it's present location on the C.G.W. Railroad. Bremer


TROUT RIVER. A village in the central part of Frankville Township. Its post office was Jamestown from 1851 to 1852, but was called Trout River from 1852 to 1855. Winneshiek

Page 1 of 2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 1 of  2

Page

1

2

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - T