SHEFFIELD. In the western part of Cascade Township. Post office, 1869-71. Dubuque


SHELBYVILLE. A town platted in 1854 in the eastern part of section 27, Grove Township. This was the first town platted in the county and was the county seat from 1853 to 1859, when it lost to Harlan. Post office, 1854 to 1862 and again from 1875 to 1881. Shelby


SHELEY’S. Near Tile southwest corner of Green Bay Township. Post office, 1857-67. Clarke


SHELL ROCK FALLS.  Post office, 1857-71. The pioneer name of the present Rock Falls. Cerro Gordo


SHELL ROCK. A station on the Iowa Central Railroad at or near the present town of Manly, as appears on maps of 1878. Worth


SHERIDAN. A post office (1865-77) in or near section 29, Cedar Township. Van Buren


SHERIDAN.  (See Sheridan Center below). Poweshiek


SHERIDAN. The name of the present town of Boyden during a few years after its establishment in the 1870's.  Sioux


SHERIDAN CENTER. A post office (1877-83) in the northern part of section 9, Sheridan Township. It continued as Sheridan until 1902. There is still a store there. Poweshiek


SHERLOCK. A post office (1877-1882) in the northeastern part of Silver Lake Township. Palo Alto


SHERMAN CENTER. A place shown on maps of 1878 a short way northwest from the center of Sherman Township. Montgomery


SHERMAN.  (See Brownsville).  Poweshiek


SHILOH In the northeastern part of Red Oak township. Post office, 1871-89. Cedar


SHINN. In section 12, Duuglas Township. Post office, 1885. Adams


SHIRLEY. A post office in the southeast corner of section 32, Grant Township. Post office, 1876 to 1887, and again in 1889 to 1891. Pocohantas


SHOCKLEY. The name of the post office at the present town of Winfield from 1852 to 1853. Henry


SHOCK'S STATION. A station on the C., B. & Q. Railroad in the southwestern part of section 5, Cass Township on the south bank of the Des Moines River, two miles southeast of Chillicothe. Wapello


SHOO FLY. In the northeast part of section 32, Fremont Township. Post office, 1871-1901. Johnson


SHOWMAN. A post office from 1886 to 1896, in section 12, Benton Township. Keokuk


SIAM. The name of the post office from 1860 to 1906, except one intermission, at the town of Buchanan.  Taylor


SICKLES. A station on the Wabash Railway about three miles south of Ottumwa, as appears on maps of 1887.  Wapello


SIDE HILL.  Listed in the U.S. Postal Register as a post office in Cedar County in 1861-63, but not found on maps of that period. Cedar


SIGEL. In section 27, Douglas Township. Post office, 1889-97. NOTE: Still another discrepancy exists with the name of this town. Is it Sigel or Siegel.  Bremer


SIGEL. Near the northwest corner of Read Township. Post office, 1863-73. Clayton


SILSBE. A post office from 1841 to 1843 near where stands the present town of Andrew. Jackson


SILVER CREEK.  In western part of Adams Township. Post office, 1893-97. Deleware


SILVER CREEK. A post office (1852-56) in the central part of Silver Creek Township. Pottawattamie


SILVER CREEK. In section 18, Silver Creek Township. Post office, 1875. Ida


SILVER LAKE. A post office (1867-1906) first in Silver Lake Township, but later in the northwestern part of Hartland Township. Worth


SILVER STREET. A post office (1858-63) in the northwestern part of Union Township. Ringgold


SIMPSON. (Formerly Canaan). Post office, ]861-69. The present town of Brooks. Adams


SISLEY'S GROVE. A post office from 1857 to 1862 in section 29, Clinton Township. In an early day a small village with place for travelers, blacksmith shop, etc. A few old houses still remain. Linn


SLABTOWN. A local name given the present town of Lehigh in its early existence. Webster


SLAGLE. A post office from 1875 to 1886, in the northern part of Benton Township. Keokuk


SLYVAN. In the western part of Cass Township. Post office, 1854-57. Clayton


SMAYVILLE. A pioneer hamlet in the northeastern part of section 31, Sherman Township. Post office, April 14, 1886 to July 28, 1886. Story


SMEAD. A post office for a few months in 1871 a short distance south of the present town of Rock Rapids. Lyon


SMIDA. Mostly called Simoda. Platted in 1857 in the southeastern ?part of section 8 and the southwestern part of section 9, Center Township, about one and one-half miles east of Harlan, on the West Nishnahotna River. It was a rival of Harlan for the county seat, but when it failed in that in 1859 it quickly passed away, Post office, June 19, 1858 to July 16, 1858. Shelby


SMITHFIELD. In the northwestern part of section 24 Franklin Township, on the Yellow River. Platted in 1854 and both sawmills and gristmills flourished there for some years. Allamakee


SMITHFIELD. A pioneer town mentioned in Hickenloper's History of Monroe County, but the location not given. Monroe


SMITHFIELD. A town laid out in 1854 in the central part of section 18, Howard Township. It was built up but little. Story


SMITH'S FERRY. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1851 as a post office in Jackson County, but not found on maps of that period. Jackson


SMITH'S POINT. In section 4, Yell Township. as shown on maps of 1863-69. Boone


SMITHSTOWN A village in section 17, Sharon Township, before the coming of the railroad into that township. The name of its Post office was Burgess,  Clinton


SMITHTOWN. The name given the present town of Smithland, as appears on maps in the 1850's. Woodbury


SMYRNA. In the northwestern part of section 20, Franklin Township. Post office, 1865-1900. Clarke


SNAP. A post office (1881-85) in Hardin Township. Pottawattamie


SNOW HILL. A hamlet in Lincoln Township about one mile north of the present town of Coin. Post office 1872-79. Page


SNYDER GROVE. A post office (1871-72) near the northwest corner of Willow Township. Woodbury


SNYDER. In section 26, Des Moines Township. Post office, 1859-81. Dallas


SOAP CREEK. A post office in Marion Township from 1851 to 1857. It seems to have been the predecessor of Albany post office, as it ceased to exist when Albany began and is shown on the maps to have been close by. Davis


SOAP CREEK MILLS. A hamlet of some size and importance in a very early day in the northwest corner of section 3, Salt Creek Township, on Soap Creek. Davis


SOAPTOWN. A common name applied to North English in its pioneer years. Iowa


SODA BAR. A post office (1865-76) in section 33, Nevada Township, on the West Fork of the Des Moines river. Palo Alto


SOLDIER VALLEY. A post office (1872-81) in the northern part of section 34, Jackson Township. Harrison


SOMBER. A post office (1889-1902) in section 1, Bristol Township. Worth


SONORA. A post office (1879-1901) in section I, Chester Township. Poweshiek


SOUTH AUGUSTA. A village on the south side of the Des Moines River opposite the town of Augusta. It was surveyed in 1842 but no permanent town developed. Lee


SOUTH BENTONSPORT. The early name of what became Vernon in 1852.  (See North Bentonsport)  (See Vernon)  Van Buren


SOUTH FLINT. In the southern part of Pleasant Grove Township. Post office, 1854-89. Des Moines


SOUTH FORK. A post office (1849-62) near the northeast corner of Walnut Township, on the South Fork of Chariton River. Wayne


SOUTH FRANKLIN. The former name of the present railroad station of Franklin, in the southern part of section 35, Franklin Township. Lee


SOUTH INDEPENDENCE. Post office, 1855. (See Independence). Decatur


SOUTH KEOSAUQUA. Hamlet laid out (1840) on the north side of the Des Moines River. Now absorbed in the southern part of Keosauqua. Van Buren

Page 2 of 4

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

4

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 2 of  4

Page

1

2

3

4

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - S (Page 2)