Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

POLEN. A post office (1891-1901) in section 3, Lincoln Township. Ringgold


POLK.  First on the east side of the Cedar River, and later on the west side in Polk Township. Post office, 1854-61. Bremer


POLK. A post office near the central part of Scott Township in 1849. Mahaska


POLK. The name first given the newly established county seat of Lucas County, but soon changed to Chariton. Lucas


POLO STATION. A former C. & Gt. W. R. R. station in Lincoln Township about four miles northeast of the present town of Manly. Its post office was

Polo Station from 1889 to 1900 when it was changed to Glade. Worth


POLTNEY. In southeastern part of Elk Township. Post office, 1851-60. Deleware


POMO. Listed as a post office in Shelby County from 1881 to 1883, but the location not found. Shelby


POND VALLEY. In section 36, Paris Township. Post office, 1869-71. Howard


PONONA. A post office (1861-76) in the north central part of Johnson Township. Plymouth


PONY.  In Douglas Townsip. Post office, 1885. Bremer


POPLAR GROVE.   A post office (1872-73) in the western part of West Bend Township. Palo Alto


POPLAR GROVE. In the southwest corner of section 23, Freedom Township. Post office, 1893-97. Hamilton


POPLAR GROVE. Listed as a post office in Marion County from 1856 to 1857, but not located on the maps. Marion


POPLAR. In section 6, Sharon Township. Post office, 1893-1903. THOMPSON, In central part of Cameron Township. Post: office, 1893-97. Audubon


PORT ALLEN. A former railroad station and hamlet in the southeastern part of section 31, Orono Township, in the extreme southern part of the township.

Post office, 1883-88.  Muscatine


PORT ALLEN.  A town laid out in 1841 on high ground between the Iowa and Cedar Rivers close to their confluence. It was an important place for a little while, there being a ferry across the Cedar to Fredonia, and another across the Iowa. As the town soon declined the post office of Port Allen was kept about three-fourths

of a mile up the Iowa River for a few years, and then removed without change of name to Oakland. Louisa


PORT LOUISA. A town in the southern part of the south section 5, Port Louisa Township, on the Mississippi River. It was laid out in 1854 and had a large shipping business for years. Post office, 1847-75. Louisa


PORT RICHMOND. A village in the northwestern part of section 27, Grecn Township, about one mile southwest of Pickwick and on the south bank of the Des Moines River.Post office, 1858-75. Sometimes appears on the maps as Richmond. Wapello


PORT WASHINGTON. A town laid out in 1848 in the northeastern part of secion 8, township 74, range 2, or about half a mile south of where Port Louisa was

later built. Louisa


PORTERS. A railroad station and village slightly north of the center of Washington Township. Webster


PORTLAND. A place shown on maps of 1857 near the central part of Cedar Township on the east bank of Cedar River. Muscatine


PORTLAND. The pioneer name of the present village of Leando from its beginning in 1837 to 1880. Leando was the name of the post office from 1840 to 1864. The government surveyors of 1837 report they found this village of Portland. Van Buren


PORTLANDVILLE. The name of what is now the town of Akron from the time it was platted in 1872 until 1882 Plymouth


PORTORO. The name of the post office at Van Buren, which see below, for a few years in the early 1840's. Van Buren


POTATO HILL. In the northwestern part of Canton Township. Post office, 1851-52. Name changed to Beulah. Benten


POTOSIA. A post office (1890-1904) in section 34, Liberty Township. Plymouth


POTTAWATTAMIE. A place in the eastern part of Norwalk Township on Keg Creek, as shown on maps of 1868 Pottawattamie


POTTER. A post office (1882-1906) in Indian Village Township. Tama


POTTER. The former name of the present village of Henderson. Mills


POTTSVILLE. The name of the post office from 1839 to 1860 at Astoria, which see above. Washington


POUGHKEEPSIE. In the eastern part of section 16, Alden Township. Platted in 1855 but the attempt to make a town failed. Hardin


POWASHEEK. A post office in Muscatine County from 1841-1844. The name was changed to Overmans Ferry in 1844. Muscatime


POWHATAN. A post office in the central part of Powhatan Township from 1878 to 1883. Pocohantas


POYNEER. The name of the post office from 1891 to 1894, at the present village of Watterson in Lot's Creek Township. Ringgold


PRAIRIE CITY. A former name of Van Wert. See Florence above. Decatur


PRAIRIE CITY. Laid out as a town in 1854 in the central part of section 31, Milford Township. It is said it never had but one house. Story


PRAIRIE CREEK POST OFFICE. In southwestern part of Iowa Township, just north of the Iowa River, as shown on maps of 1855-57, but it appears in the southwestern part of the township on G.W. and C.B. Colton's map of 1808 Benten


PRAIRIE CREEK. A post office (1855-67) in the western part of Honey Creek Township, near the Powcshiek County line. Iowa


PRAIRIE CREEK. In the central part of Prairie Creek Township. Post office, 1877-85 Dubuque


PRAIRIE FLOWER. Listed in 1854 as a post office in Pottawattamie County, but the location not found. Pottawattamie


PRAIRIE GROVE. A village on the east line of section 5, Washington Township. Post office, 1853-97. Clarke


PRAIRIE HILL. In southwest corner of section 12, Peoples Township. Post office, 1859-85. Boone


PRAIRIE HOUSE. The name of the post office at the present village and railroad station of Charleston from 1843 to 1850, when it was changed to Charleston. Lee


PRAIRIE MILLS. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Muscatine Connty from 1858-1871, but the location not found.  Muscatine


PRAIRIE ROSE. A hamlet in section 3, Monroe Township. Post office, 1899-04. Shelby


PRAIRIE SPRINGS. Listed in U. S. Official Register as post office in Jackson County (1845 to 1847). Not found on maps of that period. Jackson


PRAIRIE VIEW. The name of the post office (1857-65) at the location of the later post office of Blackmore. Ringgold


PRAIRIEBELLE. In section 32, Washington Township. Post office, 1900-1903. Jasper


PRAIRIEVILLE. A former name of Van Wert. See Florence above. Decatur


PRARIE La PORTE.  The name of a town which later became a part of the present town of Guttenburg. It was laid out in 1839 and became the first county seat of Clayton county. It was a post office from 1841 to 1843 Clayton


PREPARATION. A pioneer village in section 7, Spring Valley Township, about three miles north of the present village and railroad station of Preparation. The old village had a post office from 1854 for a few years. Monona


PRICE.  A post office in 1864 in the southern part of Sheridan Township. Scott


PRICE. A post office for a brief time in 1876 in section 34, Lincoln Township. Madison


PRINCETON, The name of the present city of Albia for a brief time. It was laid out and was made the county seat as Princeton in 1845. Monroe


PROSPECT HILL. A post office from 1854 to 1872 in section 12, Linn Township. Linn


PROSPECT. In the northwestern part of Meadow Township, as shown on maps from 1873 to 1885. Clay


PROSPER.  In the northern part of section 10, Fremont Township. Post office, 1897-1900. Butler


PRUSSIA CENTER. In section 27, Prussia Township, as shown on maps of 1881. Adair


PRUSSIA. In section 14, Prussia Township. Post office, 1900-03. Adair


PUTNAM. In southwestern part of Putnam Township. Post office, 1863-85. Fayette


PYMOSA.  In section 11, Pymosa Township. Post office, 1855-57. Cass


PYRA. Listed in the U. S. postal records as a post office in Warren County from 1856 to 1859, but the location not found. Warren

Page 3 of 3

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 3 of  3

Page

1

2

3

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - P (Page 3)