PETTIS. Post office (from 1898-1902) in section 5, Coon Valley Township. PHILO. Post office (1875-1877) in central part of Clinton Township. Sac


PHALANX.  A Fourier Association laid out this place in 1843 in the southern part of section 28, Scott Township, on the north side of the Des Moines River, about one mile west of where Rochester was later laid out. Mahaska


PHILADEPHLIA. The pioneer name of the present village of Kilbourn when it was laid out in 1839 and for several years. Philadelphia was also the name of the post office from 1841 to 1849. The name of the post office was Lick Creek from 1849 to 1855.  Van Buren


PHILBY. A post office from 1898 to 1904 in section 11, Baker Township. O'Brian


PHILLIPS. The former name of Rutledge, a station on the Milwaukee Railway some three miles north of Ottumwa. Wapello


PHILLIPSTON. In section 25, Douglas Township. Post office, 1880-81. Bremer


PHILO. A post office (1856-64) in the southwestern part of Richland Township, about four miles southwest of Afton. Union


PICKAWAY. In the southwestern part of Union Township. Post office, 1857-65. Benten


PICKWICK. The name by which South Ottumwa was known during the first several years of its existence. Wapello


PIERCE POINT. In the western part of Sugar Grove Township. Post office, 1859-69. Dallas


PIERCE. A post office from 1853 to 1857 in section 22, Wyoming Township. Jones


PIGEON. A post office (1889-1902) in the central part of Boomer Township. Pottawattamie


PIKE. A post office (1852-71) in the central part of Pike Township, a short way south of the present town of Nichols. Muscatine


PILGRIM’S GROVE. In the northwestern part of Ellis Township, as shown on maps of 1862, and in the northeastern part of Buckeye Township, as shown on maps of 1863 to 1868. Hardin


PILOT ROCK.   In section 16, Pilot Township, but soon removed to section 33. Platted in 1859. Post office 1867-85. Cherokee


PILOTBURG. A hamlet in the northeastern part of the east section 33, Lime Creek Township, two miles south and three miles east of the present town of Wellman. Post office, 1891-1903. Washington


PIN OAK. Name of the post office at the present village of Holy Cross from 1845 to 1897. Dubuque


PINE MILLS. A post office from 1870 to 1901 with some intermissions in the southwestern part of Montpelier Township, on Pine Creek, about three miles

northeast of Fairport, and now within the Wild Cat Den State Park.  Muscatine


PINE.  In the northern part of Liberty Towhship. Post office, 1855-59.. Buchanan


PINHOOK. A name applied to Mount Vernon in an early day. Linn


PINNICLE POINT The name by which the present town of Princeton was first known. (see Elizabeth City)  (see Towns of Today/Princeton)  Scott


PIONEER GROVE.   In section 11, Pioneer Township. Post office, 1847-59. Cedar


PISGAH. A populous village of huts settled by the Mormons in 1847 in section 8, Jones Township, about one mile northeast of the present railroad village of Talmage. It existed only about four years. Sometimes called Mount Pisgah. Post office, 1851-54. Union


PITTSBURG. A prospective town in territorial times located somewhere in Louisa County, on the Iowa river. (Exact place not found.) Louisa


PITZER. A post office from 1889 to 1906 in the central part of Jackson Township. Madison


PINCHEY. Local name of the hamlet of Oradell. Marion


PLAINVIEW. A hamlet at the common corners of sections 1 adn 12, Cleona Township, and 6 and 7, Hickory Grove Township. Post office, 1873-1902 Scott


PLANEVILLE. Listed in the U. S. postal records as a post office in Warren County from 1855 to 1859, but the location not found. Warren


PLATT. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Clay County from 1893 to 1897, but not found on maps of that period. Clay


PLATTE. A post office (1868-72) in Polk Township. (In Census of Iowa, 1870.) Taylor


PLATTEVILLE. A village in the southern part of section 32, Gay Township. Post office, 1856-1903. Taylor


PLATTVILLE. A town shown on maps from 1854 to the late 1860's a short distance south of East Portsmouth. Mills


PLEASANT CORNERS. A village at the corner of sections 22, 23, 26 and 27, Pleasant Township, about one mile north of the present village of Fredric. A prosperous place along in the 1870's. Monroe


PLEASANT GROVE. A village in section 11, Pleasant Grove Township. Post office, 1851—1903. It still has a store and a few buildings. Des Moines


PLEASANT GROVE. Listed as a post office in Keokuk County from 1849 to 1850, but the location not found. Keokuk


PLEASANT GROVE. Listed in U. S. Official Register as a post office in Jefferson County (1810-1845) Not found on maps of that period. Jefferson


PLEASANT HILL.   In section 16, Sugar Creek Township. Post office, 1861-81. Cedar


PLEASANT HILL. In the northeastern part of section 6, Richland Township, as shown on maps of 1868 and 1869 Keokuk


PLEASANT LANE. A post office in 1854 and 1855 at or near where later was located the village of Bladensburg. Wapello


PLEASANT PLAIN. The name first given to the present town of Pleasanton. It was laid out in 1854 as Pleasant Plain and the name changed to Pleasanton

in about 1869. Decatur


PLEASANT VIEW.  Platted as a village in 1851 in the northern part of section 32, Lick Creek Township.  (See Chequest) Davis


PLEASANT VIEW. A post office from 1870 to 1876 in the eastern part of Webster Township. Madison


PLEASANT VIEW. In section 35, Kellogg Township. Post office, 1859- Jasper


PLEASANT VIEW. In the eastern part of Avery Township, on the C. & N. W. Ry. Post office, 1881. Humboldt


PLEASANT VIEW. Same as Hilltown. Appanoose


PLEASANTVILLE. Another name for Pleasant View. See Parker's map, 1856. Appanoose


PLOW. A post office in the southwestern part of Webster Township, as shown on the maps of 1868-69. Hamilton


PLUM CREEK. In Concord Township, platted in 1856. Never developed much. Dubuque


PLUM CREEK. In the western part of North Fork Township. Post office, 1857-59. Deleware


PLUM HOLLOW. (See Fremont City)  Freemont


PLUM SPRING. In Elk township. Post office, 1854, but name changed to Greeley in 1863. Deleware


PLUM.  Listed in U.S. Postal Guide of 1897 as a post office in Buena Vista county, but not found on maps. Buena Vista


PLYMOUTH. A platted village in the northeast corner of Plymouth Township, on the Floyd River, and a short distance northeast of the present town of Merrill,

as shown on maps from 1863 to 1873. Plymouth


PLYMOUTH CENTER. The name of the post office at Plymouth (see above) from 1869 to 1873. Plymouth


PLYMOUTH CITY. Platted in 1857 in section 6, Stanton Township, with the intention of making it the county seat, it was never developed. Plymouth


PLYMOUTH ROCK. A village platted in 1855 in the southern part of section 35, Fremont Township, on the south side of the Upper Iowa River.

Post office, 1856-1907. Winneshiek


PLYMOUTH. A village in the northern part of section 35, Farmington Township, adjacent to the town of Farmington on the north. Founded in 1842. Van Buren


POCAHONTAS CENTER. Name first given the present town of Pocahontas. Name of post office was Pocahontas Center (187I to 1882). Pocohantas


POINT ISABEL. A village in the northwestern part of section 27, Green. Township. Post office, 1851-68. Wapello


POINT PALESTINE. A post office (1861-69) at the town of Palestine. Story


POINT PLEASANT. A village laid out in 1839 sections 4 and 5, Winfield township, on the south bank of the Wapsipinicon River. Its life was brief.

Post office 1840-44. Scott


POINT PLEASANT. In the western part of section 18, Pleasant Township, and the eastern part of section 13, Tipton Township. It was platted in 1855, and was prosperous for several years. In 1858 it came near being made the county seat. Hardin


POLAND'S GROVE. A post office in the northern part of section 26, Independence Township, about one mile north of the present town of Kamrar, as appears

on the maps of 1875. Hamilton

Page 2 of 3

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 2 of  3

Page

1

2

3

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - P (Page 2)