ADAVILLE. A hamlet and post office (1889-1904) in the southwestern part of Johnson Township. A store and church still remain.
BROKEN KETTLE. A post office from 1871 to 1876 in the northwestern part of Hancock Township near the mouth of Broken Kettle Creek.
BROOKDALE. Platted in about 1890 in section 31, Perry Township, as an addition to Sioux City.
CRATHORNE. A post office (1887-1905) in section 12, Johnson Township.
ELLENDALE. A post office (1894-1904) in the central part of Liberty Township.
FURRAY. A post office (1879-83) in the western part of .Johnson Township.
HAPPY CORNERS. The local name in the 1880's of the hamlet now known as Neptune, in the southern part of Stanton Township.
HOLLEY. A post office (1879-85) in the eastern part of Johnson Township, formerly named Rosbach (see below).
JOY. The name of a railroad station for a few years in the 1870's in the western part of Sioux Township.
MALTON. A post office from 1870 to 1873 in the western part of Sioux Township, near the Big Sioux River.
MAMMEN. A post office (1898-1906) in section 29, Grant Township.
MELBOURNE. Platted in 1860 in the southeast quarter of section 34, Plymouth Township, about three miles northeast of the present town of Hinton. It was the county seat from 1860 until 1872 when it lost to Le Mars. Post office 1862-63.
MINNABROOK. A place in the eastern part of Liberty Township, as appears on maps of 1885.
NEPTUNE. A post office (1880-1905) located in different farm homes in the southern part of Stanton Township, in its later time being at Happy Corners
O'LEARY. A post office (1889-1902) in section 8, Union Township.
PLYMOUTH. A platted village in the northeast corner of Plymouth Township, on the Floyd River, and a short distance northeast of the present town of Merrill,
as shown on maps from 1863 to 1873.
PLYMOUTH CENTER. The name of the post office at Plymouth, which see above, from 1869 to 1873.
PLYMOUTH CITY. Platted in 1857 in section 6, Stanton Township, with the intention of making it the county seat, but it was never developed.
PONONA. A post office (1861-76) in the north central part of Johnson Township.
PORTLANDVILLE. The name of what is now the town of Akron from the time it was platted in 1872 until 1882.
POTOSIA. A post office (1890-1904) in section 34, Liberty Township.
QUORN. A village platted in 1880 in the northwestern part of section 251 Elkhorn Township, on the south side of the West Fork of Little Sioux River. It had
a post office from 1880 to 1883. It prospered until the coming of the railroad in 1883 to Kingsley, one mile to the east.
ROSBACH. A post office (1871-77) in the southern part of Johnson Township. This was later called Holley,
which see above.
SAINT PAUL JUNCTION. The name given on maps of 1869 to the location where now stands the city of Le Mars.
YEOMANS. A post office (1898-1906) in the southwestern part of Perry Township.
Plymouth County was named after the landing place
of the Pilgrims.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|