ASHUELOT. Laid out as a town in 1857, in thc northern part of section 15, Portland Township, but proved to be a town on paper only.
BUFFALO FORK A post office from 1863 to 1899, located first in section 20, Plum Township, and later in Portland Township, section 10, and later in section 13.
CRESCO. A post office in section 27, Cresco Township, from 1856 to 1862.
DARIEN. A post office from 1870 to 1874 in section 26, Fenton Township.
EAGLE LAKE. A post office (1893-97) in section 28, Eagle Township.
FINE. Listed as a post office in Kossuth County from 1883 to 1886, but the location not found.
FENTON. Shown on the maps from 1878 to 1887 as a post office in the southeastern part of Fenton Township. (The present town of Fenton which is in section 18 was not established until 1899.
GREENWOOD CENTER. A post office in the southern part of section 21, Greenwood Township, from 1870
HALE. Post Office stablished in 1871. (Became Saint Joseph).
HATCH. A post office in the southwestern part of section 32, Lott Creek Township, from 1871 to 1875.
HOBART. The former name of the present village and railroad station of Hobarton. Hobart was the name of the post office from 1892 to 1903.
IRVINGTON. The original town of this name was located about a half mile north of the present village and railroad station of Irvington. It was platted in 1856 and was a rival of Algona, but declined shortly after the Civil War.
JOHNSON SETTLEMENT. Listed as a post office in Kossuth County in 1856, but the location not found.
KOSSUTH CENTER. A post office from 1858 to 1877 in the southwest corner of section 4, Plum Township.
NOEBLA. A post office in 1874 and 1875 on the east line of Burt Township, and midway as to north and South.
RAHM. The name of the post office at the present village of St. Benedict from 1888 to 1894.
RAMSEY. A village in the northern part of section 13, Ramsey Township. Post office, 1877-89.
REYNOLDS. The name first given (1893) to the present town of Swea City.
ST. JOSEPH. (formally Hale)
SWEA. A post office in section 3, Swea Township, from 1872 to 1893. In 1890 a town called Swea was laid out in the northwestern part of section 10, or about three miles northeast of the present town of Swea City.
If you can add any information for the towns above please CONTACT US!
Iowa Ghost Towns
Donation. Thank You!
Kossuth County was named after Lajos Kossuth.
He was a Hungarian patriot and Satesman.
Used with permission from the State Historical Society of Iowa
Established January 15, 1851
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|A to Z Town Index with Info|
|Town Listing Index|