ALLISON. The name of the post office from 1865 to 1877 at the village of Luxemburg.


ALMA. In the north central part of Taylor Township. Post office, 1855-57.


ASPINWALL. In section 11, Jefferson Township. Post office, 1855-61.


BALLY GLAUGH GROVE. Pioneer name of the present hamlet of Bally Claugh in section 15, Table Mound Township. The post office was established in 1843.


BENNETTVILLE. In section 9, Washington Township. Post office, 1893-97.


BUNCOMBE. A village on the north line of section 14, Washington Township. Post office, 1853-97.


CALEDONIA. In section 9, Vernon Township, as shown on maps of 1857.


CENTRE TOWN. In the northern part of Vernon Township. Post office, 1849-53.


CHANNINGSVILLE . In the southwestern part of Center Township Post office, 1851-59.


COTTAGE HILL. A village in the northern part of section 25, Concord Township. Post office, 1854-1903.


DACOTAH. The pioneer name of the present village of Centralia. DERRINANE. In south central part of Vernon Township.

Post office, 1859-69.


DONELAN. In central part of Prairie Creek Township. Post office, 1871-73.


DUKE. In the northeast corner of section 24, Washington Township. Post office, 1873-85.


EVERGREEN. In the southeastern part of section 17, Iowa Township. Post office, 1854-1900. Its previous name was Tivola.  

(See below)


FACTORYVILLE. In eastern part of section 12, Table Mound Township, and western part of section 7, Mosalem Township, as shown on maps of 1863 to 1880.


FALLS. The pioneer name given to the present town of Cascade, as shown on maps of 1856.


GEORGETOWN. Tile pioneer name of the present hamlet of Holy Cross.


GLASSNEVIN. In section 14, Liberty Township. Post office, 1855-59.


HAZEL. In section 7, White Water Township. Post office, 1885.


HEMPSTEAD. The common name in earlier times of the present village and railroad station of Fillmore. The post office of the village was Fillmore from the start, 1851, until its discontinuance in 1903.


HIGGINSPORT. In the southeastern part of Washington Township. A post office existed there for a time in the 1830s, according to Good-speed’s History of Dubuque County, page 489.


HOGANSVILLE. The pioneer name of the post office (1847-55) at the location where later grew up the present town of Epworth.


JEFFERSON. In the southwestern part of Jefferson Township. Post office, 1857-67.


KING. In the southern part of Section 21, Mosalem Township. Post office, 1861-1900.


LORE. In section 14, Center Township. Post office, 1885-97.


MARSHFIELD. A village in the northern part of section 3, Dubuque Township, as shown on maps of 1875-80.


McCANTS. In Vernon Township. Post office, 1881-85.


MILLERS POST OFFICE. In the southwestern part of Table Mound Township, as shown on maps of 1856-57.


MILLERAY. In the southern part of section 11, Prairie Creek Township. Post office, 1855-1900.


MOSALEM. In the northeastern part of Mosalem Township near the bank of the Mississippi River. Post office, 1851-63.


NEW VINE. The name of the post office at the present village of New Vienna from 1849 to 1855.


OAKLAND. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Dubuque County from 1853 to 1859, but not found on the maps.


OGDEN. In the central part of Prairie Creek Township. Post office, 1861-69.


PERU. In section 35, Peru Township, about five miles north of the present city of Dubuque and near where now is located the railroad station of Edmore. The town of Peru was founded in 1833, even before what is now Iowa was attached to Michigan Territory. It was of importance in its day, was a rival of Dubuque, and a post office until 1843.


PIN OAK. Name of the post office at the present village of Holy Cross from 1845 to 1897.


PLUM CREEK. In Concord Township, platted in 1856. Never developed much.


PRAIRIE CREEK. In the central part of Prairie Creek Township. Post office, 1877-85


SAINT JOSEPH'S PRAIRIE. Listed in the U.S. official Register of 1851 as a post office in Dubuque County. (not shown on maps)

SHEFFIELD. In the western part of Cascade Township. Post office, 1869-71.


SQUIRES MILLS. A hamlet in Iowa Township. Founded in 1855.


TARA. In the northeastern part of White Water Township. Post office, 1861-65.


TIVOLA. In section 17, Iowa Township. Post office, 1849-53. Name changed to evergreen.  (see above)


VIOLA. In the northeastern part of New Wine Township, as shown on maps of 1857.


WAUBESOPINECOUX. Listed in U.S. Official Register as a post office in Dubuque County from 1838 to 1841, but not found on maps. It is also listed in Gallands's Iowa Emigrant, page 30.


WELD'S LANDING. In the northeast corner of Peru Township. Post office, 1851-59.

Dubuque County

Help support

Iowa Ghost Towns

Non-Tax Deductible

Donation. Thank You!



Dubuque County, named after Julien Du Buque

The first white settler in Iowa.




Used with permission from the State Historical Society of Iowa

BACK TO QUIZ

Established September 06, 1834

Iowa Ghost Towns