Towns beginning with the letter “L”

Page 2 of 3

PAGE 1

PAGE 1

PAGE 3

PAGE 3

LEROY. In section 13, Leroy Township. The post office for the village of Bremer Center, which see above. Post office, 1861-75. Bremer


LEROYVILLE. Sometimes called Le Boy Post Office. In northwestern part of section 24, Leroy Township. Post office, 1871-75. Audubon


LESAN. A former railroad station on the C., B. & Q. Railroad about five miles east of Mount Ayr. Post office, 1884-99. There is still a school, church and cemetery, and the place goes by the name of Lesanville. Ringgold


LESTER. In southwestern part of section 16, Lester Township. Post office, 1856-85 Black Hawk


LEWIS CITY. A former name of the present village of Mineola, as appears on maps of 1881. Mills


LEWISBURG. A village in the center of section 20, Clay Township. Post office, 1857-1902. Wayne


LEWISTON. A town in the northeastern part of section 28, Washington Township, or about one mile north of Old Mission (which see below). It contended for the county seat in 1851, but failing in that, its existence was brief. Winneshiek


LEXINGTON. A town laid out in 1865 in the southern part of section 8, Cedar Township. Post office, 1868-1905. It still has a church and a few scattering houses. Washington


LEXINGTON. A village established in 1838 in section 21, Washington Township, on the north side of the Des Moines River, about four miles above Bentonsport. Van Buren


LEXINGTON. A village in the southwestern part of Marshall Township, about five miles northeast of the town of Bedford. It was an aspirant for the county seat in the early 1860's. Post office, 1857-64. Taylor


LEXINGTON. A village platted in the early 1890's in section 8, Harrison Township. Osceola


LEXINGTON. The orginal name of the southwestern portion of the present City of Anamosa, later called Dublin. Jones


LIBERTY. Laid out in 1857 in section 27, Liberty Township. Post office, 1857-64. Marshall


LIBERTY. The former name of the present town of Goldfield. Liberty was platted in 1855. It was the county seat from 1858 to 1865. Wright


LICK CREEK. The name of the post office at Philadelphia, which see below, from 1849 to 1855. Van Buren


LIGHTVILLE. The pioneer name of the present village of Lima. When it was platted in 1850 the name was changed to Volga City, but soon changed to Lima. Fayette


LILLY. A post office from 1897 to 1902 in section 11, Dover Township. Pocohantas


LIMA. The former name of the present railroad station of Chautauqua some three miles east of Council Bluffs, as shown on maps of 1881. Pottawattamie


LIME CITY. In eastern part of section 16, Sugar Creek Township. A town created because of the lime industry. Post office, 1897-1903. Cedar


LIME CREEK CITY. See Mount Valley below. Winnebago


LIME CREEK. Listed in U.S. Official Register as post office in Cerro Gordo County from 1869 to 1871, but not found on maps of that period. Cerro Gordo


LIME SPRINGS. The original town of Lime Springs was a little over one mile north of the present town of that name, and was on both sides of the Upper Iowa River. A mill still operates there. Howard


LIMESTONE. listed in U. S. Official Register as post office in Des Moines County (1854 to 1860) but not found on maps of that period. Des Moines


LINCOLN CENTER. A post office from 1866 to 1867 in the central part of Lincoln Township. Mitchell


LINCOLN CENTER. In the central part of Lincoln Township. Post office, 1889-1900. Grundy


LINCOLN. See Andrews above. Polk


LINDVILI.E. Listed as a post office in Monroe County in 1850, but location not found. Monroe


LINK. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1881 as a post office in Hardin County, but not found on the maps of that period. Hardin


LINNBURG. A former village, principally occupied by coal miners, on the C. & N. W. Ry. about three miles east of the present town of Dayton. Webster


LINN GROVE A post office (1853-59)in the central part of Sheridan Township Scott


LINN In the northern part of Geneseo Township. Post office, 1861. Cerro Gordo


LINN. A post office in Linn Township in 1881. Dallas


LINN. A post office in the early 1850's at or near the later town of La Grange. Lucas


LINNDALE. A post office (1863-64) a little southwest of the center of Liberty Township. Woodbury


LINNWOOD A hamlet in section 21, Buffalo Township. Post office, 1880-89. Scott


LINTON. The early name of the present railroad station of Garland. Linton was a post office from 1847 to 1903 Des Moines

LINWOOD. In section 3, summit Towship, as shown on maps of 1905. Adair


LINWOOD. In southwestern part of Florence Township. Post office, 1856-63. Benten


LISTONVILLE. A hamlet and post office (1872-77) a short distance north of the present town of Danbury. Woodbury


LITCHFIELD. A post office (1858-72) in section 20, Grant Township. Taylor


LITHGOW. In section 22, Springfield Township. Post office, 1861. Cedar


LITHOPOLIS. The name of the post office at the present town of Steamboat Rock from 1856 to 1869. Hardin


LITTLE RIVER. In the southern part of Eden Township. Post office, 1875-85. Decatur


LITTLETON. In sections 9 and 10, Perry Townhship. A busy village on the Wapsipinicon River founded in 1856. Its post office was named Chatham from 1851 to about 1889 when it was changed to Littleton, but was finally discontinued about 1910. Buchanan


LITTLE TURKEY. In section 23, Utica Township,. Post office, 1867-1903. Chickasaw


LIVING SPRING. A village in the southwestern part of Silver Creek Township. Post office, 1875-1908, except some suspensions. Pottawattamie


LIVINGSTON. In central part of Franklin Township. Post office, 1858-1900. Appanoose


LIVONIA In section 18, Lake Township. This location, a short distance east of the east end of Clear Lake, was made the county seat in1857, and a town began to grow up, but the county seat was taken away the next year. Cerro Gordo


LIZARD. A post office (1868-72) which occupied two or three different locations in the central and northern part of Lizard Township. Pocohantas


LIZARD. In the northwestern part of section 26, Springfield Township, as shown on maps of 1857. Cedar


LOCKRIDGE. A town laid out in 1837 at the common corner of Cedar, Round Prairie, Lockridge and Buchanan townships. It flourished as a business place for a time. It had a post office from 1852 to 1859. Jefferson


LOCUST HILL. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in 1859, but the name is not found on maps of that period. Clayton


LOCUST LANE. The same as the present village of Locust. Locust Lane was the name of the post office from 1857 to 1883. Winneshiek


LODO MELLO. A post office in the northeastern part of Honey Creek Township, as shown on maps of 1856. Deleware


LODOMILLO. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Clayton County from 1853-1855. (name not found in maps of that period. Clayton


LOGANSPORT. In section 14, Yell Township, on Des Moines River. Shown on maps of 1905. Boone


LOMBARD. Platted 1872 as a village in section 32, Marshall Township, near the east side of Clear Lake. Little improvement was ever made there. Pocohantas


LONDON. In southern part of Fremont Township. Post office, 1861-64. Name changed to Robin. Benten


LONE OFFICE. A post office from 1857 to 1859. in Platte Township. Taylor


LONG CREEK STATION. The former name of the present railroad station of Bard. Louisa


LONG CREEK. In the southern part of Long Creek Township. Post office, 1871-75. Decatur










Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!  



The county is listed in Green.

Page 2 of 3

Iowa Ghost Towns