ALISBURG. A place near where now stands the town of Lehigh, as shown on maps of 1862.
BELLEVILLE. A post office in the southeastern part of Webster County in 1859 to 1861 at the forks of the Boone and Des Moines rivers.
BORDER PLAINS. Platted in 1857 in the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter, and the southwest quarter of section 30, Washington Township. It was a town of importance. Many soldiers of the Union Army were sworn in there. It became extinct after the Civil War.
BUCHANAN. Platted as a town in 1856 slightly west of where now stands the village of Burnside. It aspired to be the county seat, but when that went to Fort Dodge in 1859, it declined. Soon the name was changed to Hesperian, which see below, and later to Burnside.
CARBON. The former name of the present Illinois Central Railroad station of Gypsum. Carbon was a post office from 1870 to 1872.
CASADY. A post office (1883-90) in the southeastern part of Dayton Township. It is shown on maps as Casady's Corner.
CRAIG'S HOLLOW. See Kalo Junction below.
CROOKS. The former name of the interurban station of Palm Grove in the eastern part of Clay Township. Crooks was a post office from 1909 to 1914.
FRANKFORT. A place in the northern part of Yell Township, on the south side of the Des Moines River, as shown on maps of 1857 and 1862.
GREENSIDES. A post office from 1869 to 1873 in the northern part of Elkhorn Township, about five miles south and one mile west of Fort Dodge.
HASKALIA. A proposed town on the Illinois Central near the present town of Judd.
HESPERIAN. The name of the post office at what is now Burnside from 1858 to 1882. Also see Buchanan above.
JACKSON CENTER. A post office (1879-89) a short way south of the center of Jackson Township.
KALO JUNCTION. A station and hamlet on the main line and spur of the M. & St. L. Railroad which extended to the town of Kalo and the coal mines about a mile distant. The neighboring community was also called Craig's Hollow.
KESHO. The former name of the present town of Calender. Kesho was the name of the post office from 1873 to 1877.
LACKAWANA. A coal mining town laid out in 1876 on the east bank of the Des Moines River opposite where now stands the town of Lehigh.
LATHAM. A place slightly northeast from the center of Deer Creek Township and on the west side of the Des Moines River, as shown on maps of 1878. Post office, 1875 to 1879.
LINNBURG. A former village, principally occupied by coal miners, on the C. & N. W. Ry. about three miles east of the present town of Dayton.
LUNDS. A railroad station and village a short distance northeast of the center of Washington Township.
MCGUIRE. A post office in the late 1890's in the southeastern part of Webster County, sometimes called McGuire's Bend.
McLAUGHLIN'S CREEK, A place in the southwestern part of Douglas Township near where Tara now is, as shown on maps of 1868 and 1869.
NEBRASKA. Listed as a post office from September 29, 1851, to November 29 of the same year in Yell County, which was the same as the present Webster County, without its north tier of townships, but its location not found.
NEWARK. A post office (1875-87) in section 23, Newark Township.
OTHO. The original post office of Otho was located in section 28, township 88, range 29, in the C. B. Andrews home. The town itself was located on each side of the public highway north of District No. 1 school house.
PORTERS. A railroad station and village slightly north of the center of Washington Township.
SLABTOWN. A local name given the present town of Lehigh in its early existence.
TYSON'S MILLS. The pioneer name of the present town of Lehigh. It was begun in 1855 as Tyson's Mills.
The name was changed to Vesper, and later to Lehigh. Tyson's Mills was the name of the post office from 1870 to 1876.
VESPER. See Tyson's Mills ahove.
WALBRIDGE GROVE. A place in the northwestern part of Badger Township near the east bank of the Des Moines River, as shown on maps of 1878. Post office, 1868 and 1869.
WEST DAYTON. The name of the post office (1858-77) at the present town of Dayton.
If you can add any information for the towns above please CONTACT US!
Iowa Ghost Towns
Donation. Thank You!
Webster County was named after Daniel Webster
He was an American Statesman and a famous orator.
Used with permission from the State Historical Society of Iowa
Established January 12, 1853
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|A to Z Town Index with Info|
|Town Listing Index|