Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

NEWARK. A post office (1857-68) occupying two or more locations in the northern part of Summit Township, part of the time being about two miles northwest of the present village of Otley. Marion


NEWARK. A post office (1875-87) in section 23, Newark Township. Webster


NEWARK. Platted in 1844 on thc same ground as was Westport, which see below. Linn


NEWBURG. A village laid out in 1855 in the southwestern part of section 14, Newburg Township, on the west side of the Cedar River and about one mile northwest of the present town of St. Ansgar. A busy town in its day. Post office 1857-72. Mitchell


NEWLON'S GROVE.   In the southwest corner of Union Township. Post ofice, 1873-75. Cass


NEWPORT. A town platted in 1846, in the northern part of section 33, Jackson Township, just south of the Wapsipinicon River. It was selected as the county seat in 1847, but never so used. Jones


NEWTON CITY. The original name of the present city of Newton. It was platted in 1846 and the name changed to Newton (see below) in 1847. Jasper


NEWTON. Another name for Western City.  Keokuk


NEWTONVILLE. In section 16, Newton Township. Post office, 1871-1900. Buchanan


NEZEKA. In section 34, Fairview Township. On the Mississippi just south of the mouth of the Yellow river. Laid out in 1856.  Post office 1859-63. Allamakee


NILES. A village in the southeastern part of the south section 5, Des Moines Township. The village was laid out in 1855 and the post offiee was from 1860 to 1874. Van Buren


NILES. In the central part of Niles Township. Post office, 1885-97. Ran a short time later as Nilesville. Floyd


NILES GROVE.   In southeastern part of section 22, Union Towhship, as shown on maps of 1868. Carroll


NILES POST OFFlCE. Listed in U. S. Postal Guide of 1851, but not found on maps of that period. Appanoose


NINE EAGLES. In the western part of Hamilton Township. Post office, 1851-69. Decatur


NINE MILE. A post office (1854-66) in the northern part of Black Oak Township. Mahaska


NISHNA. A hamlet on the West Nishnabotna River near New Town. Post office, 1866-69. Pottawattamie


NOBLESVILLE.  (See Chequest) Davis


NOSEVILLE.   (See Chequest) Davis


NODAWAY FORK. Post office from 1857-1861 in northwestern part of Buchanan Township, at or near the forks of the two Nodaway rivers. Page


NODAWAY MILLS. A post office (1870-80) in the southeastern part of section 36, Harlan Township, on the Nodaway River. Page


NOBLETON. Name of a former station on the Keokuk branch of the Rock Island Railway about two miles south of Mitchellville. Post office, 1872-78. Polk


NODAWAY. A post office from 1851 to 1854 in the northwestern part of East River Township, about two miles south of the present city of Clarinda, and near the Nodaway River. It was discontinued on the establishment of the post office at Clarinda. Page


NOEBLA. A post office in 1874 and 1875 on the east line of Burt Township, and midway as to north and south. Kossuth


NORA. In the western part of Delana Township. Post office, 1875-81. Humboldt


NORDLAND. A post office (1879-1901) first in section 8 and later in section 2, Fertile Township. Worth


NORDYKE.  In the southeastern part of Boone Township. Post office, 1869-75. Dallas


NORMAN. A former station and town on the M. & St. L. R. R. a short distance south of the present station of Emmons. Winnebago


NORRIS.  In the northwestern part of Troy Township, as shown on maps of 1855. Clarke


NORRIS. A post office (1865-69) in the northeastern part of Bangor Township. Marshall


NORTH. Post office from 1861-1869. In northern part of section 32, Madison Township, at or near the hamlet of Worthington.  Madison


NORTH BEND. A post office (1857-62) at Jenkins Center, which see above. Mitchell


NORTH BENTONSPORT. The name by which the present town of Bentonsport was known from its founding in 1839 until I852, while the portion of the town south of the Des Moines River Was called South Bentonsport until 1852 when it was changed to Vernon. Van Buren


NORTH BRANCH. A post office from 1853 to 1860 in section 26, Madison Township. Madison


NORTH CAPOLI. On the Mississippi about a little northwest of Columbus and just south of Lansing, and now within the corporate limits of that town. Platted in 1858. Allamakee


NORTH DES MOINES. A town incorporated in 1880, occupying the southeast quarter of section 33, and the south half of 34., township 79, range 24" now all being in the north central part of the city of Des Moines. Post office, 1888-89. Polk


NORTH GROVE. A post office from 1875 to 1880 in the western part of Douglas Township. Page


NORTH MAQUOKETA.  Town of brief existence about 1840. North of present city of Maquoketa on the North Fork of the Maquoketa River.  Jackson


NORTH McGREGOR. Former name, previous to 1915, of the present town of Marquette. Clayton


NORTH MILLS. A post office (1871-73) in the northeast corner of Nodaway Township on the east side of Nodaway River. Page


NORTHPORT. The orginal counthy seat, selected adn named in 18456. plat was not filed until 1848 when the name was changed to Vinton. Now included in the eastern part of the present city of Vinton. Benten


NORTH RIVER. A post office in the western part of section 5, Jackson Township, from 1872 to 1876. Madison


NORTH SKUNK. The name of the station on the Iowa Central Railroad in 1887 at the location of the present station of Moore, as shown on maps of that period. Poweshiek


NORTH SKUNK RIVER. A post office in section 4, Richland Township (1855-59), near the stream of the same name. Jasper


NORTHAM.   Listed in U.S. Postal Guide of 1900 as a post office in Buena Vista county, but not found on maps. Buena Vista


NORTHFIELD. A village in the northeastern part of Yellow Springs Township, laid out in 1866, and a post office from 1855 to 1900. Des Moines


NORTHFIELD. First in the northern part of Kendrick Township and later in the southern part of Cedar Township. Post office, l865-1881. Greene


NORTONVTLLE.   A village in the southwestern part of section 13, Fremont Township. Post office, 1871-75. Clarke


NORWAY. A short distance northeast of the town of Clermont, as shown on maps of 1868-69. Fayette


NORWICH. First name given the present town of Galt. Norwich was platted in 1881. The name was soon changed to Galtville, later to Galt. Wright


NORWICH. In section 32, Fairview Township, as shown on maps of 1856. Jones


NOTTINGHAM. The original name of the present town of Earlville. Deleware


NOTTINGHAM A post office in Marion Township from 1851 to 1859.  (See Adamsville) Davis


NUGENT’S GROVE. A post office and hamlet in the southern part of section 3, Jackson Township, on Buffalo Creek and near the location of the present town of Coggon. As a post office it existed as Nugent's Grove from 1856 to 1883, and as Nugent from 1883 to 1888. Linn


NUNDA. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1885 as a post office in Fremont County, but not found on maps of that date. Freemont



Page 2 of  2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

1

2

Page

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 2 of  2

1

2

Page

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - N (Page 2)