Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

MAY BELL. A post office (1877-86) in the southwestern part of Lincoln Township. Sioux


MAY CITY. The name of the post office (1889-1904) at the village of Lexington, which see above. Osceola


MAYFIELD. A town platted in an early day on the west side of the Cedar River in section 34., Rapids Township, below the present city of Cedar Rapids. Linn


MAYSVILLE. In section 27, Reeve Township. It was the first town Platted in the county, being laid out in 1856. It was prosperous and came near getting the county seat. Post office, 1857-89. Franklin


MAYVIEW. In northeastern part of Poland Township. Post office, 1881. Buena Vista


MC DILL. In the central part of Victoria Township. Post office 1877. Cass


McBRIDE. A post office in the southern part of Jefferson Township from 1889 to 1901. Madison


MCCABES. Near the center of Canaan Township, as shown on maps of 1855, 1856 and 1857. Henry


McCANTS. In Vernon Township. Post office, 1881-85. Dubuque


MCCARVERSTOWN. The pioneer name of the present village of Lowell, prior to 1843. Henry


McDEVITT'S GROVE. A post office (1879-84) a short distance north of the present town of Urbandale. Polk


McDILL. A place in section 12, Dodge Township, as appears on maps of 1881 to 1889. Union


MCGONIGLE. The former name of the present town of Center Point. Linn


McGREGOR'S LANDING. The orginal name of the present town of McGregor. Clayton


MCGUIRE. A post office in the late 1890's in the southeastern part of Webster County, sometimes called McGuire's Bend. Webster


MCKAY. A post office from 1851 to 1855 when the name was changed to Wiscotta. Dallas


McKINLEY. Listed in U.S. Postal Guide of 1900. Post office in Adair County but not found on maps of that period Adair


McKISSICK'S GROVE. In the southwest part of Madison Township. Post office, 1851-69. Freemont


MCKNIGHTS POINT. In northwestern part of Wacousta Township. Post office, 1871-81. It was later listed as McKnight as late as 1885. Humboldt


McLAUGHLIN'S CREEK.   A place in southwestern part of Douglas Township near where Tara now is, shown on maps of 1868 and 1869. Webster


McPHERSON. A post office from 1876 to 1900 in the northwestern part of Monroe Township. Madison


McVEIGH. A former railroad station and post office (1882-1901) near the southwest corner of section 21, Cedar Township, about three miles east of Stockport.

(See Zanesvi11e. Van Buren


MEAD.  The name of a post office from 1874 to 1875 at the present railroad station of Midland Junction. Clinton


MEADE. A post office from 1863 to 1864 in Valley Township, a short distance northeast of the present town of Hepburn. Page


MECHANICSBURG. A town reported by W. Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the south half of section 24 and the north half of section 25, Columbia Township, on the north bank of the Des Moines River Wapello


MECHNICSBURG. A pioneer place and a post office in the early 1850's in the southwestern part of Chequest Township. Van Buren


MEDFORD. A post office (1890-1903) in the southwestern part of White Oak Township. Warren


MEEK'S MILLS. The original name of the place that later became the present town of Bonaparte. Van Buren


MEIROTTO. A village and station on the old Chicago, Fort Madison & Des Moines (now the C., B. & Q) Railroad, in section 25, Marion Township. Lee


MELBOURNE. Platted in 1860 in the southeast quarter of section 34, Plymouth Township, about three miles northeast of the present town of Hinton. It was the county seat from 1860 until 1872 when it lost to Le Mars. Post office, 1862-63. Plymouth


MELPINE. A post office in the northeastern part of Sweetland Township from 1847 to 1879. Muscatine


MELROSE. A station on the old Des Moines Valley Railroad in section 1, Des Moines Township. The road having been relocated the station was taken over by Connables. Lee


MELROSE. On the north side of section 16, Melrose Township. Post office, 1878-79. Grundy


MELROSE. Village platted in 1860, in section 2, Taylor Township. Was a station on the stage line between Council Bluffs and  Sioux City. Harrison


MELVILLE. In central part of Melville Township. Post office, 1878-89. Audubon


MEMORY. A post office (1857-82) in the southwest corner of section 31, Dallas Township. Taylor


MEMPHIS. In central part of Johns Township. Post office, 1857-67. Appanoose


MENNON. A post office (1856-67) at or near the present town of Swan. Marion


MENOTI. In section 34, Lee Township. Post office, 1871-85. Buena Vista


MENTOR. In section 1, Leroy Township. Post office, 1863-1900. Bremer


MENZI. In section 16, Ingham Township. Post office, 1871-76. Franklin


MERCER.  A C. & N. W. Railway station in the central part of Viola Township, about one mile west of the present village of Carnarvon. Post office, 1876-78. Sac


MERRILL. The name of the present village of Durham when it was first laid out in 1875. Marion


MERRIMAC. A village in section 36, Walnut Township, on the east side of the Skunk River. Post office 1866-1906. Jefferson


MIAMI. A coal mining town about 1910 southwest and near Buxton. Monroe


MID PRAIRIE. A post office in the northwestern part of Morning Sun Township from 1863 to 1877. Louisa


MIDDLE RIVER. The name of the post office from 1855 to 1903 at the town of Webster, which see below. Madison


MIDDLEBURG. A post office (1870-82) in the eastern part of section 9, English River Township. Washington


MIDDLEFIELD. In the southwestern part of Middlefield Township. Post office 1885-1900. Buchanan


MIDDLEPORT. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1889 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period. Clarke


MIDDLETOWN Laid out as a town between Parkhurst and Le Claire, and later included within the town of LeClaire. Scott


MIDDLETOWN. Laid out as a town, but name later changed to Union Mills, still a village in the central part of Union Township. Mahaska


MIDLAND. A post office (1888-1902) in section 6, Geneseo Township. Tama


MIDLAND. In the southern part of Providence Township. Post office, 1871-75. Hardin


MIDLOTHIAN. A town reported by W. Vandever in his survey notes of 1843 as being in the west part of section 15, Columbia Township, on the north side of the Des Moines River. Wapello


MIDWAY. A post office (1855-57) in the central part of Camp Township about three miles northeast of Adelphi. Polk


MIDWAY. A post office (1890-1907) in section 10, Morgan Township. Woodbury


MIDWAY. The name given at first to the present town of Jordan. Boone


MIKESVILLE. A post office in 1897 as shown in the U.S. Postal Guide. It was in section 8, Amsterdam Township. Hancock


MILAN. A post office in the southern part of Benton Township from 1870 to 1881. Lucas


MILAN. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Keokuk County from 1897 to 1902, but not found on maps of that period. Keokuk

Page 2 of 4

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!   The county is listed in Green.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 2 of  4

1

2

4

3

Page

1

2

4

3

Page

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - M (Page 2)