...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

ALICE. A post office from 1882 to 1902 in section 5, Spring Grove Township.


BABCOCK. Listed in the 1886-1894 U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Linn County, but location not found.


BANNER VALLEY. A post office from 1856 to 1866 near where the present town of Ely is located.


BOULDER. A post office from 1853 to 1865 in the southwestern part of Boulder Township near Buffalo Creek.


BRANDY BROOK. A place in the northern part of Monroe Township, as shown on maps of 1868 and 1869.


BROADWAY. A post office from 1886 to 1902 in section 1, Boulder Township, the extreme northeast corner of the county.


BROWN. The name of the post office at what is now the present town of Springville from 1842 until the office was removed to New Lindon (see below).


CEDAR. A place shown on various maps from 1855 to 1862 at or near the present village of Waubeek.


COLUMBUS. The name given to what later became Cedar Rapids when it was first platted in 1838, before the government survey.


COUSINS. Listed in 1898 to 1910 as a post office in Linn County, but location not found.


CRAB APPLE. A post office in 1861 to 1862 in the northeastern part of Marion Township.


CROW CREEK. The early name of the present village of Viola.


DRY CREEK. A post office (1856-72) in the eastern part of Monroe Township, some eight miles northeast of Marion.


ELMONT. A post office from 1890 to 1900 in section 26, Spring Grove Township.


FLEMINGVILLE. A hamlet in the southwestern part of section 13, Otter Creek Township.  Post office 1867-1906.


FORD'S GROVE. A post office from 1856 to 1859 southeast of the central part of Jackson Township.


FRANKLIN. A post office from 1842 to 1846 in Franklin Township. It occupied different locations in the vicinity of the present town of Mount Vernon.


HOLLENBACK. A post office in Linn County in 1848 as evidenced by correspondence quoted in History of Linn County, by L. A. Brewer and B. L. Wick,

Vol. I, pp. 82-3. Believed to have been at the present location of the town of Palo.


HOOSIER GROVE. A post office from 1849 to 1857 at or near where the present town of Ely is located.


HOOSIER MILLS. The name by which the village of Troy Mills was first known.


IVANHOE. Laid out as a town in 1838, and found and noted by the government surveyors in 1841 on the line between sections 29 and 30, Franklin Township,

on the north bank of the Cedar River. It was on the old Dubuque and Iowa City road and had a post office from 1845 to 1849.


KINGSTON. The former name of what is now that portion of the city of Cedar Rapds west of the Cedar River.


KINGSTON CITY. The name of the post office at Kingston, which see above, from 1858 to 1866.


LAFAYETTE. A post office in section 28, Otter Creek Township, from 1846 to 1902. LINDON. The name of the post office at New Lindon, which see below,

from 1854 to 1861.


McGONIGLE. The former name of the present town of Center Point.


MAYFIELD. A town platted in an early day on the west side of the Cedar River in section 34., Rapids Township, below the present city of Cedar Rapids.


MONDIEU. A post office from 1854 to 1862 in the eastern central part of Clinton Township, on the west side of the Cedar River, and about five miles northwest

of Cedar Rapids.


NECOT. A post office from 1851 to 1867 in the southeastern part of Buffalo Township.


NEW BUFFALO. Platted in an early day in Buffalo Township, but never built up.


NEW LINDON. A town laid out in 1853 about one mile east of the present town of Springville, as a rival of Springville, and the removal of the post office from Springville to that place was secured for a few years. See Lindon above.


NEWARK. Platted in 1844 on thc same ground as was Westport, which see below.


NUGENT’S GROVE. A post office and hamlet in the southern part of section 3, Jackson Township, on Buffalo Creek and near the location of the present town of Coggon. As a post office it existed as Nugent's Grove from 1856 to 1883, and as Nugent from 1883 to 1888.


OAK GROVE. A post office from 1850 to 1853 in the western part of Fayette Township.


OTTER CREEK. A post office in Otter Creek Township from 1844 to 1846.


PADDINGTON. Laid out in 1855 as a separate town on land south of and adjacent to Waubeek but later included as a portion of that village.


PINHOOK. A name applied to Mount Vernon in an early day.


PROSPECT HILL. A post office from 1854 to 1872 in section 12, Linn Township.


RURAL. A post office from 1868 to 1878 in the northern part of Marion Township.


SAINT JULIEN. A post office from 1846 to 1858 in the southern part of Linn Township.


SAINT MARY'S. A post office from 1849 to 1859 on the old Dubuque and Iowa City road about midway between Mount Vernon and Ivanhoe.


SHADY BROOK. A post office in Linn County from 1863 to 1866, but location not found.


SISLEY'S GROVE. A post office from 1857 to 1862 in section 29, Clinton Township. In an early day a small village with place for travelers, blacksmith shop, etc.

A few old houses still remain.


SPRING GROVE. A post office from 1851 to 1879 in the northwestern part of Spring Grove Township.


TORAH. Listed as a post office in Linn County from 1851 to 1853. but location not found.


VALLEY FARM. A post office from 1874 to 1872 in the western part of section 16, Jackson Township.


VANDERBILT. The name first given the present village of Fairfax when it was laid out in 1863.


WAPSA. A post office from 1856 to 1870 north of the central part of Maine Township, on the Wapsipinicon River.


WESTERN. A town laid out in 1856 in the southern part of section 34, College Township. It was the home of Western College and became quite a village.


WESTERN COLLEGE. The name of the post office at the town of Western, which see above, from 1858 to 1906.


WESTPORT. The first projected town in Linn County, staked out in 1838, three years before the government survey, on the Cedar River near the present town

of Bertram.


WEST PRAIRIE. A post office from 1867 to 1885 in the northwestern part of section 26, Spring Grove Township.

Linn county is named in honor of Senator Lewis Linn of Missouri. Organized by the first legislative assembly of the Iowa Territory on January 15, 1839



Established December 21, 1837


Linn County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED