AARONVILLE Laid out as a town in December, 1853. Was laid out by Aaron Wright in Section 33 in Polk Township. but apparently never built up.
ABSECUM. The name of the post office (1855-59) at the point where the railroad station of County Line is Located.
BAKER. In the east part of Black Hawk Township. Post office, 1861-1901.
BELLEVILLE. A former railroad station in the northern part of Polk Township, about two miles west of Packard. Post office, 1883-96.
BLUE POINT. A post office near the northwest corner of Black Hawk Township, as appears on the maps of 1855, 1856 and 1857.
BROOKVILLE. A village in the central part of section 11, Locust Grove Township. Post office, 1850-1902.
BUENA VISTA. Laid out as a town in 1851 in section 13, Buchanan Township, but apparently never built up.
COALPORT. A village in the central part of section 34, Lockridge Township, about one mile west of the present town of Lockridge.
CREESVILLE. The name first given the present town of Batavia. It was platted as Creesville in 1846 and the name changed to Batavia in 1853. Creesville was the name of the post office from 1851 to 1853.
DEEDSVILLE. The name first given the village of Merrimac (see below). Deedsville was the name of the post office from 1849 to 1853.
FOUR CORNERS. At the center of section 22, Lockridge Township. Post office, 1872-1904.
HARMONY. In the northern part of Cedar Township. Post office, 1852-59.
HARVEY'S MILLS. In the northern part of section 26, Penn Township. Post office, 1868-73.
KRUM. The name of the post office from 1896 to 1899 at the village of Whitefield (see below).
LOCKRIDGE. A town laid out in 1837 at the common corner of Cedar, Round Prairie, Lockridge and Buchanan townships. It flourished as a business place for a time. It had a post office from 1852 to 1859.
MERRIMAC. A village in section 36, Walnut Township, on the east side of the Skunk River. Post office, 1866-1906.
MILTON. Laid out as a town in 1855 in sections 8 and 9, Des Moines Township, but apparently never built up.
MONROE. Laid out as a town in 1840, and thought to have been near the center of Des Moines Township, but it got no farther than a town on paper.
MOUNT STARLING. A plat was filed in 1837 for a village with this name at the terminus of a territorial road running from Burlington to Trenton, Henry County,
and to a point near the northeast corner of penn Township. Only a village on paper. (See History of Jefferson County, by C. J. Fulton, p. 202.).
NEW HAVEN. A platted village in the northern part of section 1, Lockridge Township, as shown in the original surveys made in 1837. That is the only evidence remaining of its existence.
PARSONVILLE. A post office from 1858 to 1863 and a railway station where Beckwith is now located.
PLEASANT GROVE. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Jefferson County from 1810 to 1845, but not found on maps of that period.
TYPEE. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1846 as a post office in Jefferson County, but not found on the maps of that period.
VEGA. In the northeast corner of section 35. Round Prairie Township. Post office, 1881-89. ( Formerly in Henry County.)
WALNUT. In the southwestern part of Penn Township. Post office, 1846-67.
WHITEFIELD. A village and railroad station in the eastern part of section 31, Fairfield Township. Post office, 1886-91.
WOOSTER. In the western part of section 13, Cedar Township. Post office, 1853-91.
Jefferson County was named after
He was the 3rd President
of the United States.
Established January 21, 1839
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|