Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

HOPE FARM. A hamlet a short distance east of the later village of Cairo, which see above. Post office, 1840-55 . Louisa


HOPKINS GROVE. A post office (1850-56) in the central part of Madison Township. Polk


HOPRIG. A hamlet in the southern part of Jack Creek Township. Post ofice, 1885-1914.. Emmet


HORACE. In section 17, Greeley Township. Post office, 1879-93. Audubon


HORN. In section 23, Malaka Township. Post office, 1869-89. Jasper


HORNBUCKLES POINT. On west bank of Des Moines River about three miles above Elk Point. Shown on maps from 1862 to1868. Boone


HORTON. In sections 26 and 27, Polk Township. Platted in 1856. Quite prosperous until after the nearby railroad was built.       

Post office, 1857-1903. Bremer


HOSKINS. A post office from 1875 to 1886 and from 1891 to 1902 in section 33, Concord Township. Woodbury


HOTONA. Post office in southeast corner of section 4, Richland Township, on the south side of the Iowa River, as shown on maps of 1876. Tama


HOWARD. Given on maps from 1875 to the early 1880's in connection with Busti as Howard Busti Post Office, about one mile north of the location of the present town of Elma, but later given in the eastern part of Howard Township. Howard


HOWARD. A post office during 1868 in section 2, Howard Township. Tama


HOWARD CENTER. A village platted in 1856 located in the southwest corner of section 24, Howard Center Township. It was the county seat from 1857 to 1858. Post office, 1857-93. Howard


HOWARD CENTER. In section 18, Lafayette Township. Platted in 1854 adjoining Milton on the north. Allamakee


HOWARDVILLE. In the western part of Cedar Township, on the Little Cedar River. Post office, 1859-69. Floyd


HOWSIER. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1857 as a post office in Harrison County, but not found on the maps of that period. Harrison


HOYT. In section 27. Douglas Township. Post office, 1889-1900. Adams


HUDSON. A place shown on maps from 1845 to 1857 at or near the present town of Atalissa. Muscatine


HUESTON. In the northern part of Jefferson Township, as shown On maps of 1856 and 1857. Johnson


HUGO. In section 7, Butler Township. Post office, 1900. Jackson


HULL. On the east line of section 19, Colfax Township, some two miles northeast of the present town of Luther. Post office, 1873-75. Boone


HUMBOLDT. A post office established in 1864. in the southwestern part of section 7, Avery Township, southwest of the Des Moines River. The name was changed to Park Grove. Humboldt


HUMBUG TOWN.  (see Ottawa City)  Poweshiek


HUMMACONNA. A post office (1874-99) in the central part of section 22, Urbanna Township. Monroe


HUNGARIAN SETTLEMENT. A village in the northeastern part of New Buda Township. See maps of 1855-57. Decatur


HUNTSVILLE. A town in very early times in sections 36, .Jefferson Township, about one and one-half miles west of the Des Moines River, as stated in McVicker's Index Plat Directory to Towns, etc., in Polk County, 1884.  Polk


HURON. In the east section 16 of Huron Township, located on Huron Chute of the Mississippi River. It was started in 1847, grew and had good prospects, but was obliterated by a flood in 1851. Des Moines


HUSAM. A post office in Blue Grass Township, from 1882 to 1883. Scott


HUSTONS. In section 10, Lafayette Township, as shown on maps of 1857. Keokuk


HUTCHINSON. The town of Dudley never materialized. Mitchell


HYDE. A post office (1886-89) in section 19, Frankville Township. Winneshiek


HYNES, A coal mining town three miles southeast of the present village of Avery. Post office, 1899-1916. Monroe





Page 3 of  3

Page

1

2

3

Page 3 of  3

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page

1

2

3

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!   The county is listed in Green.

TOWN INDEX

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - H (Page 3)