Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

HAZEN. A station on the old Chicago, Fort Madison & Des Moines (now the C., B. & Q.) Railroad, in section 17, Washington Township  Lee


HEATH. A post office (1859-61) in the southwestern part of Carlton Township. Tama


HEATON. A post office from 1858 to 1861 in section 33, Lee Township. Madison


HEBRON. Click for more information and pictures - The orginal name for Hebron was actually, Schweers Adair


HEDGE. A post office (1881-1930) in the north central part of Dayton Township. Iowa


HEDGE'S GROVE.  In section 10, Union Township. Post office, 1859. Cass


HEDROLANTE. A hamlet in existence in 1840 in or near section 22, Des Moines Township, about five miles southwest of Keosauqua. Van Buren


HELENA. A town in the southeast corner of section 9 and the southwest corner of section 10, Richland Township. Post office, 1856-96. Tama


HEMPSTEAD. The common name in earlier times of the present village and railroad station of Fillmore. The post office of the village was Fillmore from the start, 1851, until its discontinuance in 1903. Dubuque


HENDERSON PRAIRIE. In the northwestern part of Grand Meadow Township. Post office, 1865-69. Clayton


HENDERSON. A post office from 1866 to 1872 in section 20, Warren Township. Lucas


HENN. Listed as a post office in Monroe County from July 16, 1856, to October 6, 1856, but its location not found. Monroe


HENNES. Listed as a post office in Mahaska County from 1884 to 1887, but the location not found. Mahaska


HENSHAW. A post office (1899-1903) on the south line of section 17, Nodaway Township. Taylor


HENTON. The former name of the present railroad station and village of Folsom. Mills


HENTONVILLE. The name of the post office (1879-86) at Henton. (see Henton above) Mills


HERDLAND. In section 14, Herdland Township. Post office, 1881-97. Clay


HESPERIAN. The name of the post office at what is now Burnside from 1858 to 1882.  (also see Buchanan) Webster


HIAWATHA. A post office from 1882 to 1885, and from 1892 to 1894. in Jordan Township. Monona


HIBBSVILLE. Near the northeast corner of Franklin Township. It was laid out in 1852 and prospered as a village until the coming of nearby railroads.

Post office, 1854-1910. Appanoose


HICKORY. The name of the post office (1858-82) at the village of Independent. Van Buren


HICKORY GROVE. A post office (1839-45) in the central part of Hickory Grove Township. Scott


HICKORY GROVE. In the western part of section 32, Bellevue Township. Post office, 1851-67. Jackson


HICKORY GROVE. The name of the post office from 1876 to 1883 at what is now the village and railroad station of Hickory. Monroe


HICKORY POINT.  In the northern part of Liberty Township, as shown on maps from 1855 to 1862. Clarke


HICKORY POINT. In the northwestern part of Liberty Township, as shown on maps from 1855 to 1856. Clarke


HIGGINSPORT. In the southeastern part of Washington Township. A post office existed there for a time in the 1830s, according to Good-speed’s History of Dubuque County, page 489. Dubuque


HIGGINSPORT. In the western part of Van Buren Township. Post office, 1853-89. Jackson


HIGH CREEK. In section 30, Locust Township. Post office, 1871—1900. Freemont


HIGH GROVE. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Clayton County from 1855 to 1860. (Not found on maps of that period) Clayton


HIGH LAKE. A town in the northwest quarter of section 23, High Lake Township. Laid out in 1881. Post office 1869-97. Emmet


HIGHBRIER. In the southern part of Eden Township, as shown on maps of 1887. Decatur


HIGHLAND. A small hamlet near the western part of Highland Township. Post office, 1855-1900. Clayton


HIGHLAND. Laid out in 1855 in section 25, Highland Township, near the center of the county. It grew rapidly, contested for the county seat, but when Afton

won it in 1857, it was soon deserted. Union


HIGHLAND CITY. One of the names by which the town of Old Rolfe was known in its early existence. Pocohantas


HIGHLAND GROVE. A post office in section 36, Fairfield Township, from 1852 to 1875. Jones


HIGHLAND PARK. A place in section 12, Eagle Township as appears on maps of 1900. Sioux


HILLDALE. A former railroad station and village four miles east and two miles south of Glenwood. It still contains a few houses. Mills


HILLSBORO.  About three-fourths of a mile north of the business section of the present town of Columbus Junction and now embraced within the limits of that town. It was on the west bank of the Iowa River, was laid out in 1842 and was quite a shipping point. It was sometimes called Toddville. Its post office (1857-59) was Altona.   Louisa


HILLTOWN. In the southern part of section 16, Wells Township, one-half mile from the state line. A former hamlet dependent on milling and coal mining.

Known on the records as Pleasant View, with a post office named Wells Mills. Appanoose


HILTON. A coal mining town in the northeastern part of Monroe Township. Post office, 1880-1907. Monroe


HINKLETOWN. Name of the hamlet at the location of the post office of Foote.  Iowa


HIRES GROVE. In the northwest corner of Grant Township. Post office, 1875. Buena Vista


HIRONDELLE. Post office (1880-1900) in eastern part of section 30, Danville Township, about one mile east of present town of Hanlontown. Worth


HITESVILLE. In section 19, Ripley Township. Post office, 1871-1900.  Butler


HOBART. The former name of the present village and railroad station of Hobarton. Hobart, name of post office from 1892 to 1903. Kossuth


HODGE. A station on the C., R. I & P. Ry. between Allerton and Clio. Post office, 1884-98. Wayne


HOGANSVILLE. The pioneer name of the post office (1847-55) at the location where later grew up the present town of Epworth. Dubuque


HOHENZOLLERN. In setion 23, Morgan Township. Post office, 1893-97. Crawford


HOLADAY'S. In section 27, Jefferson Township. Post office, 1855-97 Adair


HOLLANDALE. A post office from 1897 to 1902 in section 24, Grant Township. Winnebago


HOLLENBACK. A post office in Linn County in 1848 as evidenced by correspondence quoted in History of Linn County, by L. A. Brewer and B. L. Wick,

Vol. I, pp. 82-3. Believed to have been at the present location of the town of Palo. Linn


HOLLEY. A post office (1879-85) in the eastern part of Johnson Township, formerly named Rosbach.  Plymouth


HOLLIDAYSBURG. An embryo village in Urbana Township In pioneer times. Monroe


HOLMAN. Former name of the present village and railroad station of AlIendorf.  Holman, name of the post office from 1879 to 1884. Osceola


HOLMSTAD. Name by which the present town of Stanton was first known when it was established in 1870, but which it retained but a short time. Montgomery


HOLT. A post office from 1860 to 1892 and again from 1898 to 1903 in the northwestern part of section 33, Holt Township. Taylor


HOMAN. A place in the central part of Howard Township, as shown on maps of 1868 and 1869. Tama


HOME. A post office (1849-82) on the east side of the southeast quarter of section 20, Des Moines Township. Van Buren


HOMER. A town in the southwestern part of section 6, Webster Township, on the Webster County line. In 1853 it was made the county seat of the then Webster County, which embraced what is now both Webster and Hamilton counties. The town was platted in 1854 and became a post office the same year. It grew rapidly and for a short time was the most important town in that section of the state. The post office was discontinued in 1915. Still a neighborhood center. Hamilton


HONEY CREEK. In the northern part of Ledomillo Township. Post office, 1857-63. Clayton


HONEY GROVE. Listed in the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Cedar County from 1855 to 1859, but not found on maps of that period, but thought to

have been in Gower Township. Cedar


HOPEWELL. A post office (1851-77) in the northeast corner of section 34, Monroe Township, on the west side of North Skunk River and a short distance north of the mouth of Middle Creek. maps of 1855 and 1856 locate a place called Mount Vernon at or near this point. Mahaska


HOOK'S POINT. A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 6, Marion Township. Post office, 1865-75. Hamilton


HOOSIER GROVE. A post office from 1849 to 1857 at or near where the present town of Ely is located. Linn


HOOSIER MILLS. The name by which the village of Troy Mills was first known.  Linn


HOOSIER POINT. In the northwestern quarter of section 34, Polk Township. Later called Marysville. Benten

Page 2 of  3

Page

1

2

3

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page 2 of  3

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page

1

2

3

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

TOWN INDEX

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - H (Page 2)