...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

CALANAN. In the northeastern part of Ellsworth Township, as shown on maps of 1880.


HOMER. A town in the southwestern part of section 6, Webster Township, on the Webster County line. In 1853 it was made the county seat of the then Webster County, which embraced what is now both Webster and Hamilton counties. The town was platted in 1854 and became a post office the same year. It grew rapidly and for a short time was the most important town in that section of the state. The post office was discontinued in 1915. Still a neighborhood center.


HOOK'S POINT. A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 6, Marion Township. Post office, 1865-75.


KENTUCKY GROVE. Listed as a post office in Risley (now Hamilton) County in the U. S. Official Register of 1851, but not found on the maps.


LAKE CENTER. In the central part of Clear Lake Township. Post office, 1881


LARKIN'S GROVE. In the northwestern part of section 24, Lyon Township. Post office, 1859-75.


MARION. In the northwestern part of Marion Township, as it appears on the maps from 1856 to 1863.


PARIS. On the west line of section 18, Marion Township, as it appears on the maps from 1856 to 1868.


POLAND'S GROVE. A post office in the northern part of section 26, Independence Township, about one mile north of the present town of Kamrar, as appears on the maps of 1875.


POPLAR GROVE. In the southwest corner of section 23, Freedom Township. Post office, 1893-97.


PLOW. A post office in the southwestern part of Webster Township, as shown on the maps of 1868-69.


RED CEDAR. In the northwestern part of Hamilton Township. Post office, 1878-81.


ROSENDALE. In the southeastern part of Clear Lake Township as appears on the maps of 1896.


ROSE GROVE. In the southwest corner of section 30, Rose Grove Township. Post office, 1865-81.


SARATOGA. A post office in the southwestern part of section 7, Hamilton Township, as shown on maps of 1875 to 1880.


TREMAINE. In the southern part of section 31, Independence Township. Post office, 1889-97.


TUNNEL. In the northwestern part of Hamilton Township. Post office, 1885-97.

Hamilton County

Named after William W. Hamilton.

President of the Iowa Senate

from 1856 to 1857.



Established December 22, 1856

Hamilton County

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

EZ County Index

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED