Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

FORBUSH. A coal mining town about four miles north of Centerville. Post office, 1894-1903. Appanoose


FORD'S GROVE. A post office from 1856 to 1859 southeast of the central part of Jackson Township. Linn


FOREST CITY. A village in the eastern part of Richland Township. It was for a time in 1858 the county seat of the county. Its existance was brief. Chickasaw


FOREST HILL. A post office from 1857 to 1864 in the northeastern part of Grand View Township.. Louisa


FOREST HOME. A village in the northeastern part of section 29, and the southeastern part of section 20, Union Township. Post office, 1858 1902. There is still a store there. Poweshiek


FOREST MILLS (formerly called Werhan's Mills). In section 5, Franklin Township, Post officce, 1881-1900. Allamakee


FORESTON. A town in the northwest portion of section 14 and the northeast of 15 of Forest City Township and on both sides of the Upper Iowa River.

Post office, 1857-187l. Howard


FORESTVILLE. In the northern part of section 22, Richland Township. Laid out in 1854 and a busy village for many years. Post office, 1851-1900. Deleware


FORKS. A post office (1861-66) in the central part of Geneseo Township. Tama


FORSYTH A former railroad station and post office (1890-1905) in the northeast part of Independence Township on the Emmet County line. Palo Alto


FORSYTH.   Emmet


FORT DES MOINES (Old). The name of the present city of Des Moines from the time it was occupied by the dragoons in 1843 until the name was changed to Des Moines in 1857. The military evacuated it in 1846 and it at once became a village and was made the county seat the same year. Its post office was Raccoon River at first, which see below, but was Fort Des Moines from December 31, 1846, to July 30, 1857.  Polk


FORT PLAIN. A place shown on maps of 1868, 1869 and 1878 in section 8, White Breast Township. Warren


FORT PLAIN. The name of the post office from 1854 to 1870 at the town of Green Bush (see Green Bush “G” Towns page 2). Warren


FOSTER. A post office from 1879 to 1882 first in Walnut and later in Scott Township. Madison


FOUNTAIN SPRING. A post office (1849-53) formerly called Columbia, the location being at or near where now stands Kirkville Station. Wapello


FOUR CORNERS. At the center of section 22, Lockridge Township. Post office, 1872-1904. Jefferson


FOX LANDING. Listed in the U.S.Postal Guide of 1893 as a post office in Des Moines County, but not found on maps of that period. Des Moines


FOX. In the southwest part of Iowa Township, as shown on maps of 1887. Iowa


FOX. The name of the post office in 1842 or 1843 at what later became Stringtown, (see Stringtown on “S” towns, page 3). Later there was another post office named Fox (see below). Davis


FOX.  A post office in Fox River Township from 1859 to 1863 located a short distance east of the present post office of Bunch, perhaps in section 9. For an earlier post office named Fox (see above).  Davis


FRAKER. A coal mining town in the central part of Bluff Creek Township. It's post office was Fraker from 1907 to 1915. From 02/27/1854 the post office was named Bluff Creek and changed to Fraker in 01/31/1907 and closed in 01/30/1915. Monroe


FRANKFORD. Immediately below the junction of the Turkey and Mississippi rivers, as shown by maps of 1851 Clayton


FRANKFORT. A place in the northern part of Yell Township, on the south side of the Des Moines River, as shown on maps of 1857 and 1862. Webster


FRANKFORT. A town in the southwestern part of section 17, Frankfort Township. It was made the county seat in 1854 and continued to be until 1865, during which time it was prosperous. Post office, 1856-78. Montgomery


FRANKLIN. A village in the southeast corner of section 2, Center Township. Post office, 1854-75. Decatur


FRANKLIN. A village in the northeastern part of section 26 and southeastern part of section 23, Franklin Township. It was laid out in 1840, and was intended

for the county seat. Its post office, Franklin Center (see below), was from 1843 to 1883 when it was changed to Franklin, and ran until 1920. Lee


FRANKLIN. A post office from 1842 to 1846 in Franklin Township. It occupied different locations in the vicinity of the present town of Mount Vernon. Linn


FRANKLIN. The original name of the present town of Strawberry Point. Clayton


FRANKLIN CENTER.  (See Franklin above). Lee


FRANKLIN GROVE. Platted as a village in 1860 at the common corners of sections 2, 3, and 10, Pierce Township. Post office, 1864 - 1877. Page


FRANKLIN MILLS. In the southeastern part of Franklin Township. Post office, 1859-97. Des Moines


FRANKLIN PRAIRIE. A post office from 1857 to 1864 in the northern part of section 18, Canoe Township. Winneshiek


FREDONIA. A hamlet in the southwest corner of section 26, Marion Township, five miles east of Marshalltown. Post office, 1853-67. Marshall


FREDSVILLE. A hamlet in the southeastern part of Fairfield Township. Post office, 1889-1903. Grundy


FREEDOM. A village in the southeastern part of section 25, Warren Township, on Wolf Creek, laid out in 1856, Post office, 1855-76. Lucas


FREEDOM. Listed as a post office in Keokuk County from 1849 to 1852, but the location not found. Keokuk


FREEHOLD. Listed in the U.S. Officeal Register of 1855 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period. Clarke


FREEL. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Polk County from 1850 to 1859, but the location not found. Polk


FREELAND. A post office from l854 to l865, shown on the maps first in the northwestern part of Warren Township, and later in the southern part of White

Breast Township. Lucas


FREEMAN. In the central part of the present city of Charles City on the southwest side of the Cedar River. Platted April 8, 1854. A post office from 1854 to 1857. Floyd


FREEMAN. In the northeast corner of section 13, Sioux Township. Post office, 1871-75. Clay


FREMONT. A town platted in 1859, now included in the east portion of the present town of Baldwin. Jackson


FREMONT. In 1849 the county seat was removed to a location which is now in the northern part of the present city Vinton. A town was laid out there and

named Fremont. This name was changed to Vinton in 1853 Benten


FREMONT. Laid out as a town in 1857 in the northern part of section 23, Fillmore Township, but never materialized. Iowa


FREMONT CITY. The same as the present town of Thurman. It began as Fremont City in 1856, and later for some years was called Plum Hollow, the post office being designated Plum Hollow from 1857 to 1885. Fremont


FRENCH CREEK. In section 2, French Creek Township. Post office, 1855-1903. Allamakee


FRENCH. Listed as a post office in Pottawattamie County from 1896 to 1900, but the location not found. Pottawattamie


FRENCHTOWN. A hamlet in Clayton Township on the Mississippi River near where stands the present town of Clayton. It was a landing and shipping point at

the beginning of the settlement of that region. Clayton


FRENCHTOWN. A name applied to the present town of Gilbertsville in its beginning in 1836  Black Hawk


FRENCHTOWN. Another name often given the town of Baxter.


GARIBALDI. A town laid out in 1858 in the northeastern part of the south section 15, German Township Post office, 1861-81. Keokuk


FRENDALE. In the western part of section 32, Hardin Township. Post Office, 1895-1902. Johnson


FRIENDLINGS TAVERN. A place (stage station) in section 30, Sloan Township, near where now stands the town of Sloan, as shown on maps of 1868.

Woodbury


FRIENDS' GROVE. Listed in thc U. S. Postal records as a post office in Warren County from 1864 to 1865, but the location not found. Warren


FRINK'S GROVE. In section 19, Jefferson Township. A post office from 1854 to 1861 when it was changed to Sunny Side.  Buchanan


FRYEBURG. A post office (1856-86) in the northeastern part of section 4, Blaine Township, near where now stands the town of Rowan. Wright


FULLER. A post office (1892-1904,) in section 25, Mitchell Township. Mitchell


FULLER'S MILLS. In the northeast part of Scotch Grove Township, on the Maquokata River.  Post office 1859-69. Jones


FULTON. The former name of the present railroad station and town of Stockton.  


FUNK’S MILLS. In the northeastern part of Grand River Township. Post office, 1868-73. Decatur


FURRAY. A post office (1879-83) in the western part of .Johnson Township. Plymouth





Page 2 of 2

Page 2 of 2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page

1

2

Page

1

2

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

TOWN INDEX

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - F (Page 2)