ELLIS. In northern part of section 9, and later in section 5, Ellis Township. Post office, 1875-1900. Hardin


ELLlSDALE. A post office from 1856 to 1857 about two miles south of where later stood Crescent City. Pottawattamie


ELLOTT. The name of the present town of Prairie City for the first year or two of its existence. It was platted as Elliott in 1856. Jasper


ELLSWORTH. A post office from 1861 to 1873 near the center of section 21, Crawford Township. Madison


ELlZABETHTOWN. In the southeastern part of section 15 and the northeastern part of section 22, township 68 north, range 16 west. Platted in 1867, but soon thereafter was incorporated into and became a part of the town of Moulton. Appanoose


ELM GROVE. A post office (1846-53) in the eastern part of Liberty Township. The first post office in the county. Marion


ELM GROVE. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Calhoun County in 1893 to 1897, but not found on the maps. Calhoun


ELM SPRINGS, A station on the Milwaukee railway for several years on sections 14 and 15, Settlers Township. Sioux


ELM SPRINGS. Located a short distance south of the present town of Greene and platted in about 1855. It"s post office ran from 1857 to 1869 when it was transferred to Greene. Butler


ELMO. In the western part of Amsterdam Township. Post office, 1859-97. Hancock


ELMONT. A post office from 1890 to 1900 in section 26, Spring Grove Township. Linn


ELY. The name of the post office of the present village of Marysville from 1853 to 1869. Marion


EMERT. The original name of the present town of Dewar. Platted in 1880. Black Hawk


EMINENCE. A village laid out in 1875 in the southern part of section 28, Grove Township. (see Wheeler's Grove and Wheeler) Pottawattamie


EMMET GROVE. A hamlet in section 22, Emmet Township. Settlement bagan there in 1856. Emmet


EMMET. Name of post office (1861-81) at Emmet Grove (see above). Emmet


EMPIRE. A post office (1868-83) in section 26, Lincoln Township. Wright


ENERGY. In souitheastern part of Fox Township. Post office, 1861-63. Black Hawk


ENFIELD. The name given the railway station at Strawberry Point when the road was built in 1872, but soon changed to the name of the town on order of the Railroad Commission. Clayton


ENGLISH SETTLEMENT. A post office (1850-78) in the northern part of section 18, Clay Township. Marion


ENOD. A post office (1894-1901) in the southeastern part of Jackson Township. Taylor


ENTERPRISE. A former coal mining town in the center of Douglas Township. Post office, 1903-19. Polk


ENTERPRISE. A former name of the present town of Beacon. Mahaska


ENTERPRISE. On the west line of section 16, Spring Creek Township. Post office, 1853-81. Black Hawk


EPHESUS. In section 19, Washington Township, as shown on maps of 1887. Dallas


ERASTUS. In the eastern part of section 26, Orange Township. Post office, 1885-1903. Guthrie


ERIE. A post office from 1874 to 1881 in the northern part of section 34, Liberty Township. (See South O’Brien).  O'Brien


ERIN. In the northeast corner of section 12, Newton Township. Post office, 1855-63. Buchanan


ERNEST. A post office in 1872 to 1874 in the southern part of section 6, Wheeler Township. Lyon


ESTELLA. A post office (1861-71) in the eastern part of Benton Township. Ringgold


ETTIE. Listed as a post office in Tama County from 1869 to 1873, but the location not found. Tama


EUGENE. A village in the northeastern part of section 13, Jefferson Township. Post office, 1858-87. A thriving place until the advent of railroads. Ringgold


EUREKA. A hamlet in section 11, Jaekson township, on the North Raccoon River. Greene


EUREKA. A town in the southeastern part of section 21, Richland Township. Post office, 1856-59. Tama


EUREKA. In section 33, Washington Township. Post office, 1881-1900. Adams


EUREKA. Laid out as a town in 1857 in the northwest quarter of section 18, Marion Township, five miles south and one mile west of Washington. It never grew to be more than a hamlet. A few scattering houses remain. Washington


EVELAND GROVE. A post office in the central part of Jefferson Township from 1860 to 1894. It continued a few years later as Eveland. (see below)  Mahaska


EVELAND.  (See Eveland Grove above). Mahaska


EVERGREEN. A post office (1869-19:10) south of the central part of Geneseo Township. Tama


EVERGREEN. In the southeastern part of section 17, Iowa Township. Post office, 1854-1900. Its previous name was Tivola. Dubuque


EVERIST. A coal mining village in section 17, Liberty Township. Post office, 1905-14. Marion


EXCELSIOR. A coal mining town with a post office from 1879 to 1900 some three miles southwest of Oskaloosa. Mahaska

Page 2 of  2

Page

1

2

Page 2 of  2

Page

1

2

TOWN INDEX

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

TOWN INDEX

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - E (Page 2)