ARMSTRONG GROVE. In section 26, Armstrong Township. Post office, 1869-92 In the coming of the railroad and the establishment of the present town of Armstrong the post office was removed to that place.
BUBONA. In the northwestern part of Jack Creek Township. Post office, 1897-1903.
BUTLER HILL. In the western part of High Lake Township. Post office, 1861.
EMMET. Name of post office (1861-81) at Emmet Grove. (see below)
EMMET GROVE. A hamlet in section 22, Emmet Township. Settlement began there in 1856.
HIGH LAKE. A town in the northwest quarter of section 23, High Lake Township. Laid out in 1881. Post office, 1869-97.
HOPRIG. A hamlet in the southern part of Jack Creek Township. Post office, 1885-1914.
IOWA LAKE. In section 13, southern part of Jack Creek Township. Post office, 1873-97.
ISLAND GROVE. In the eastern part of Jack Creek Township. Post office, 1873.
LAKESIDE. In the eastern part of Emmet Township. Post office, 1881-93.
NEW BERGEN. In section 6, High Lake Township. Post office, 1873-81.
RALEIGH. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Emmet County from 1900-1919, but not found on maps.
RINGSTED. Established in 1885 as a county post office about two miles east of the present town of Ringsted, but on the coming of the railroad the office was removed to the new town.
SWAN LAKE. In section 25, Center Township, immediately north of the western part of Swan Lake. Town platted in 1879. Was the county seat from
1880 to 1882, and a post office from 1881 to 1900.
Emmet county was named after an Irish patriot named Robert Emmet.
The boundaries have stayed the same since Emmet county was created.
Established January 15, 1851
If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.
©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Iowa Ghost Towns
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|