DISCORD. A post office (1870-84) in the northern part of section 21, Kedron Township. Woodbury


DIVIDE. A post office for a few months in 1851 a short distance southeast of the center of Summit Township, as shown on maps of that period.   Marion


DIVIDE. A post office from 1864 to 1866 in section 22, Warren Township.   Keokuk


DIVIDE. Slightly north of the central part of Wheatland Township, as shown on maps of 1878.   Carroll


DIXIE. The former name of Turner, which see below.   Jasper


DIXIE. The small town of Dixie, and it was one of the smallest in the county, was started in 1893 by H.G. Thrams. A post office from 1894 to 1900 or or so, in section 29, Rock Township. The town Dixie disappeard about 1915.   Mitchell


DIXONVILLE. Laid out in 1856 two miles north of the present town of Hamilton. It never had more than a store building and was soon abandoned.   Marion


DOANTOWN. Another name for Russelville.   Lee


DODD. Listed in the 1881 U. S. Official Register as a post office in Johnson County, but not found on maps of that period. Johnson


DODDS. A post office (1877-86) In the northwestern part of section 32,. Banner Township.   Woodbury


DODGE. In western part of Highland Township. Post office, 1859-81.   Guthrie


DODGEVILLE In the southeastern part of section 15, Franklin Township. Laid out in 1837. Post office, 1843-1900. It still has a store and a few buildings.

Des Moines


DOGTOWN. An early nickname for the present town of Mount Sterling. Van Buren


DOGTOWN. (See Andrews).  Polk


DONELAN. In central part of Prairie Creek Township. Post office, 1871-73. Dubuque


DORAN. A post office (1857-1904, in section 34 Jenkins Township. Mitchell


DORRVILLE. A hamlet in the northwest quarter of section 32, Virginia Township. It had a post office by the same name from 1855 to 1863.  Warren


DOUGLAS CENTER. In section 24, Douglas Township. Post office, 1871-75. Clay


DOUGLASS. Name of the post office at Auburn, from 1851-1910. Fayette


DOVER MILLS. In the eastern part of Dover Township. Post office, 1889-93. Fayette


DOVER. Laid out as a town in 1857 on the south line of section 6, Honey Creek Township, but no town developed, but is shown on maps as late as 1875 as a post office. Iowa


DOVER. (See Stringtown). Davis


DOVER. (See Tuscarora).   Lee


DOWNARDS. In the western part of Sumner Township. Post office, 1855-59. Iowa


DOWNERSVILLE. A village in the western part of section 14, Castle Grove Township. Post office, 1870-72. Jones


DOWNSVILLE. A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 31, Norwalk Township, on Mosquito Creek.  Post office, 1873-90 Pottawattamie


DRAMEN. A post office from 1877 to 1880 in the southern part of the west section 1 on the northern part of the west section 12, Cedar Township. Mitchell


DRAPER. A former mining camp in the east section 34 of Fairview Township, about four miles east of Monroe. Post office, 1881-87. Jasper


DRESDEN. A town laid out in 1856 near the northwest corner of section 10, Deep River Township, about one mile east of the present town of Deep River.

The name of the post office was Deep River. The coming of the branch of the Northwestern Railway in 1884 caused the removal of Dresden to the new town of

Deep River.   Poweshiek


DRESDEN. In section 1, Richland Township. Post office, 1900-03. Chickasaw


DRESSER. Listed in the >U. S. Postal Guide of 1897 as a post office in Ida County, but not found on the maps of that period. Ida


DREW. A post office (1892-1901) in section 16, Norway Township.   Wright


DRY CREEK. A post office (1856-72) in the eastern part of Monroe Township, some eight miles northeast of Marion. Linn


DRY LAKE. A post office (1871-82) in the northern part of section 16, Vernon Township. EAGLE GROVE.   Wright


DRYDEN. A post office (1868-81) shown on some maps in Oneida Township near its southeast corner, and on later maps in York Township near its northeast corner.   Tama


DUANE. A post office, 1855-61, in section 3, Cass Township.    Jones


DUANE. A village which was included within the present town of Alden at the time of the latter's incorporation in 1879. Hardin


DUBLIN. The name of the post office kept at a country store at Dutch Creek (see below) from 1879 to 1905.   Washington


DUDLEY In 1857 the town of Dudley in East Cedar Township was platted and the plat recorded. The location was in the NE ¼ of Section 17 East Cedar

Township. A post office was established in the home of Eli    Mitchell


DUDLEY. A town of some importance in the 1850's near the southeast corner of Allen Township and on the Des Moines River just south of the mouth of North River. It had a post office named Dudley from 1850 to 1852 Polk


DUGGAN. In section 26, Butler Township. Post office, 1893-1900. Jackson


DUKE. A post office in the northwest corner of section 19, Prairie Springs Township, as appears on maps of 1875.   Jackson


DUKE. In the northeast corner of section 24, Washington Township. Post office, 1873-85. Dubuque


DUNNVILLE.  (See Pleasant View)  (See Chequest)  Davis


DUREA. A post office from 1856 to 1858 in section 21, Wayne Township. The name was then changed to Wentworth. Mitchell


DURHAM'S. A post office from 1848 to 1850 in the north section 32 of Clay Township on the Des Moines River Marion


DUTCH CREEK. A post office in the northeastern part of section 22, Dutch Creek Township, from 1845 to 1879, when the name was changed to Dublin.  

(see above)   Washington




 

Page 2 of  2

Page

1

2

Page 2 of  2

Page

1

2

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

TOWN INDEX

TOWN INDEX

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - D (Page 2)