COPPER CREEK. In the southern part of Van Buren Township. Post office, 1851-53. Jackson


CORA. In northwestern part of Fayette Township, as shown on maps of 1887. Decatur


CORA. In the north central part of Walnut Township. Post office, 1855-67.  Freemont


CORA. listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1847 as a post office in Des Moines County, but not found on maps of that period.  Des Moines


CORA. The first name (1855-56) of the present city of Osage. The name of the post office was Cora from 1854 to 1857. Mitchell


CORN HILL. In the northeastern part of smithfield Township. Post office, 1855-61. Fayette


CORNELIA. A post office in the 1880's in central part of Battle Township. Ida


CORY. The name of the post office (1887-95) at the village of Janetown, which see below. Keokuk


CORYDON. A village in the southern part of section 12, Madison Township, one and one-half miles south of Polk City, on the Des Moines River, as appears

on maps from 1868 to 1880.  (See visitor submitted info here)  Polk


CORY'S GROVE. A place near the southeast corner of Elkhart Township as appears on maps from 1855 to Polk


COTTAGE. In the northeastern part of section 32, Ellis Township. Post office, 1863-1900. Hardin


COTTAGE HILL. A village in the northern part of section 25, Concord Township. Post office, 1854-1903. Dubuque


COTTON GROVE. In the southern part of section 21 and later in the northeast corner of section 28, Canaan Township.  Post office, 1861-8l. Henry


COTTONVILLE. An old village in sections 22 and 27, Richland Township. Post office, 1851-1900. Jackson


COULSON. In the center of Diamond Township. Post office, 1893-97. Cherokee


COUNCIL BLUFFS. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office from 1851 to 1852 when the office was changed to Trader's Point. This was before the name of Council Bluffs was given the present city of that name. Pottawattamie


COUNCIL HILL. In the northeast corner of section 11, Giard Township. Post office, 1855-85. Clayton


COUNCIL POINT. A place shown on maps from 1855 to 1868 near the shore of Lake Manawa (southwest quarter of section 15, township 74, range 44),

some three miles south of the business section of Council Bluffs. Pottawattamie


COURTWRIGHT. The name of the post office for a few months in 1881 at the present railroad station of Hamill. Lee


COUSINS. Listed in 1898 to 1910 as a post office in Linn County, but location not found. Linn


COX CREEK. In the western part of Cox Creek Township. Post office, 1857-75. Clayton


COYTOWN. In the northeastern part of Hazleton Township. A hamlet and post office mentioned in Williams' History of Buchanan County as having

started in 1852. Buchanan


CRAB APPLE. A post office in 1861 to 1862 in the northeastern part of Marion Township. Linn


CRABB'S MILLS. In the northeastern part of section 14, Brandon Township, on the North Fork of the Maquoketa River. The post office ran from 1873 to 1875, after which until 1889 it was designated as Crabb. The hamlet was known as Crabbtown and existed some time before the establishment of the

post office. Jackson


CRAIG'S HOLLOW.  (See Kalo Junction). Webster


CRAIN CREEK. In northeastern part of section 4, Bennington Township. Post office, 1893-03. Black Hawk


CRANDALL. Listed in U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Calhoun County in 1897 but not found on maps. Calhoun


CRANE CREEK. In the western part of Paris Township. Post office, 1865-67. Howard


CRATHORNE. A post office (1887-1905) in section 12, Johnson Township. Plymouth


CRAWFORD. The pioneer name (1885) of the settlement later called Dowville, and which finally became the present Dow City. Crawford


CREAM HILL. In section 24, Ingham Township. Post office, 1878. Franklin


CREAMERY. In central part of Lincoln Township. Post office 1889-1900. Cerro Gordo


CREESVILLE. The name first given the present town of Batavia. It was platted as Creesville in 1846 and the name changed to Batavia in 1853. Creesville was

the name of the post office from 1851 to 1853. Jefferson


CRESCENT CITY. About one mile east of the present railroad station and village of Crescent. It was very prosperous in 1857 and was a rival of Council Bluffs,

but only for a short time. Pottawattamie


CRESCO. A post office in section 27, Cresco Township, from 1856 to 1862. Kossuth


CRESSWELL. A post office from 1869 to 1900 on the north line of section 8, Liberty Township. Keokuk


CRETE. A post office in Johns Township, 1880-83, as listed in the U. S. Postal Guide, but not found on maps of that period. Appanoose


CRISP. A post office (1897-1903) in the northwestern part of section 8, Union Township. Harrison


CROMWELL CENTER. Slightly west of the central part of Summit Township. Post office, 1875-1930. Clay


CROOKED CREEK. The name of the post office from 1843 to 1851 at what later became the village of Marshall, which see below. Henry


CROOKS. A village platted in 1880 in the southwest quarter of section 29, Buchanan Township. It was a station on a branch of the Wabash Railway which was abandoned in 1890. Page


CROOKS. The former name of the interurban station of Palm Grove in the eastern part of Clay Township. Crooks was a post office from  1909 to 1914.

Webster


CROSS. A post office from 1856 to 1879, except two brief intermissions, in the northeastern part of Athens Township at or near the location of the present town

of Kellerton. Ringgold


CROW CREEK. The early name of the present village of Viola. Linn


CROWN POINT. The original name of that portion of the present town of Belmond that is west of the Iowa River, previous to its platting in 1856. Wright


CROZIER. In western part of secion 14, Grant Township, Post office, 1881-1900 Buena Vista


CRYSTAL. A town and post office (1857-1902) in section 14, Crystal Township. Tama


CUBA CITY. A prospective town of early territorial times, thought to have been on the Iowa River and quite near its mouth.  Louisa


CUBA. In Amsterdam Township. Post office, 1897. Hancock


CUBA. The name of the post office from 1854 to 1867 at Fairview. Monroe


CURTIS. In the southern part of section 22, Madison Township, on the south side of the Iowa River. Post office I897-1909. Johnson


CYNTHIANN. A post office from 1850 to 1852 near the central part of Polk Township. Wapello


CYRENO. The name first given (1900) to the present village and railroad station of Plessis. O'Brian








Page 4 of 4

Page

1

2

3

4

Page 4 of 4

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

4

TOWN INDEX

TOWN INDEX

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - C (Page 4)