Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

CLEAR LAKE CITY. In the southeastern part of Clear Lake Township, on the southeastern shore of Clear Lake. Post office 1857-61. Cerro Gordo


CLEARFIELD. A post office from 1869 to 1872 in the northern part of Madison Township. Poweshiek


CLEVELAND. A coal mining town in the 1880's in section 18, White Breast Township, about two miles east of the town of Lucas. A few scattered houses still remain. Lucas


CLEVELAND. On east side of seetion 1, Post Township. Platted in 1856. Post office, 1857-63. Allamakee


CLIFTON. A post office from 1851 to 1857 near the southeast corner of concord Township on the Iowa river. Louisa


CLIFTON. A post office in section 35, Fremont Township, near the location where later stood the village of Plymouth Rock.  Winneshiek


CLIMAX. A hamlet and post office from 1874 to 1901 in the northern part of section 30, West Township, on Walnut Creek. A store and church still there. Montgomery


CLINTON CENTER. A hamlet in the southeastern part of section 9 and the southwestern part of section 10, Clinton Township. Post office, 1893-1902. Wayne


CLIPPER. A post office (1874-88) in the western part of section 29, Middle Fork Township. Post office 1875-85. Ringgold


CLOUD. A hamlet in section 35, Dallas Township. Post office, 1888 1906. Marion


CLUTTERVILLE. On the south line of section 17, Madison Township. Post office 1893-97. Butler


CLYDE. A village in the central part of section 11, Clear Creek Township. Platted in 1857. Post office 1859-1903. Jasper


COAL CREEK. A town at the intersection of sections 29, 30, 31 and 32, Prairie Township, laid out in 1866. It was prosperous until about 1880. The post office was first located on the north line of section 24 in 1853 but about 1866 was removed to the newly established village and ran until 1903. A few scattered dwellings, two churches and a school house remain  Keokuk


COALPORT. A village in the central part of section 34, Lockridge Township, about one mile west of the present town of Lockridge. Jefferson


COALTOWN. A hamlet in the central part of section 24, Cedar Township. Post office, 1861-99. Monroe


COALTOWN. The orginal name of the town of Angus.  Boone


COAL VALLEY. In section 2, Marcy Township, about a mile northwest. of Moingona.. Laid out in 1867. A coal mining town. Boone


COBB. The name of the post office from 1853 to 1860 at the village of Millrock. (see below) Jackson


COE'S GROVE. Listed as a post office in Montgomery County from 1858 to 1859, and again from 1868 to 1869, but location not found. Montgomery


COFFIN’S GROVE. In the central part of Coffin’s Grove Township. Post office, 1849-61. Deleware


COLBYVILLE. A post office from 1871 to 1875 in the southeastern part of Palestine Township, a short distance south of the present town of Huxley. Story


COLD SPRING. A post office for a time in the 1850's in the eastern part of Wright Township. Pottawattamie


COLD SPRINGS. The name of the post office at the town of Iranistan from 1851-1855. Cass


COLDVILLE. A post office (1872-81) in the southwestern part of section 10, Lincoln Township. Tama


COLD WATER. In the southern part of Honey Creek Township. Post office, 1854-63. Formerly called Orrin Glen. Deleware


COLDWATER. A post office from 1867 to 1875 in the northeastern part of Westfork Township. In the latter year it was removed over the line into Butler County Franklin


COLDWATER. A post office removed from Franklin County in 1875 to section 6, Bennezette Township, where it existed until 1885. Butler


COLDWATER. Near the southeast corner of Dougherty Township. Post office, 1889-97. Cerro Gordo


COLLEGETON. Laid out as a town in 1863 in the northwest quarter of the northeast quarter of section 9, Washington Township, now included in that part of the present city of Ames south of the State College grounds. It was expected the railway station would be located there instead of where it now is, at Ames Story


COLLEGE FARM. A post office (1862-66) at the location where the state Agricultural College was established a little later. Story


COLLINS CENTER. A post office (1879-81) in the central part of Collins Township. Story


COLLINS GROVE. A post office from 1857 to 1858 in the southeastern part of Crystal Township. Tama


COLONA. A town laid out in 1856, now included in the southwestern portion of the present town of Monmouth . Jackson


COLONY. In section 4, Colony Township. Laid out in 1851, and joined Colesburg on the south.  Post office 1846-65. Deleware


COLUMBIA. A post office from 1846 to 1849, the name being changed to Fountain Spring in 1849. Wapello


COLUMBIA. The name of the hamlct as appears on the maps where was located the post office of Ola. (see below). Tama


COLUMBUS. A pioneer village in section 27, Washington Township, on the northeast side of the Des Moines River, about two miles above Bentonsport. The government surveyors in 1837 report in their notes its existence. Van Buren


COLUMBUS. At a landing on the Mississippi at the mouth of Village Creek, two miles below Lansing, Often called Capoli, which see above. Columbus was the first county seat of Allamakee County. from 1851 to its removal to Waukon in 1853. Platted in 1852. Allamakee


COLUMBUS. The name given to what later became Cedar Rapids when it was first platted in 1838, before the government survey. Linn


COMET. A post office in the 1860's and 1870's, first in the southwestern part of Monroe Township, and later in the southern part of Adams Township, as shown by the maps of that period. Mahaska


COMMERCE MILLS. The name of the post office at the present village of Commerce from 1870 to 188l. Polk


COMMUNIA. In the northwest corner of section 18, Volga Township. Post office, 1855-1900. Still has a store Clayton


COMO. In section 3, Charter Oak Township, as shown on maps from 1878-1887. Crawford


COMPETINE. The name of the post office (1851-1903) at the town of Marysville. Wapello


COMSTOCK. The early name of the present Kirkville Station. Comstock was also the name of the post office from 1861 to 1877. Wapello


CONCERT. A post office (1876-82) in the northern part of Cedar Township. Mahaska


CONCORD. A village about one mile south of the business section of the present town of Garner. The county seat was located at Concord in 1865, but soon after the coming of the C., M. St. P. Ry. and the establishment of Garner, Concord declined. It was a post office from 1867-1903 Hancock


CONDIT. A post office in 1880 to 1882 in section 21, Cass Township. Jones


CONFIDENCE. A village in the southeast corner of section 11 and the northeast corner of section 14, Wright Township.  Post office, 1859-1903. Wayne


CONGRESS. In the northeastern corner of section 36, Hamilton Township. Post office, 1873-75. Franklin


CONKLING. In section 23, Greeley Township. Post office, 1881-93. Audubon


CONNELL. A post office (1872-75). in section 16, Grant Township. Tama


CONNOR. In southeastern part of section 7, Union Prairie Township. Post office, 1893-1903. Allamakee


CONO. A post office (1855-63) in the eastern part of Cono Township. Iowa


CONRAD GROVE. The name of the post office at the present town of Conrad from 1881-1885. Grundy


COOL. A hamlet and a post office (1879-1904) on the line between sections 11 and 12 at the cross roads one-fourth mile north of the south line of the sections, Squaw Township. A church and three or four dwellings remain. Warren


COON GROVE. In the northeast corner of Washington Township. Post office, 1875. Crawford


COON VALLEY. A place in section 18, Coon Valley Township. Post office, 1879-80. Sac


COONVILLE. The pioneer name of the present city of Glenwood, from its beginning in 1848 until 1853. Mills


COOPER SPRINGS. A post office from 1872 to 1875 in the southwestern part of Indiana Township. Marion


COOPERSVILLE. A post office (l867-75) in the central part of section 36, Polk Township. Wapello


COPE. A post office (1880-85) in Franklin Township. Polk


COPI. In section 2·l, Oxford Township. Post office, 1847-68. Johnson


COPLIN'S GROVE. Slightly northwest of the central part of Union Township, as shown on maps from 1863-1868. Carroll








Page 3 of 4

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

4

Page 3 of 4

Page

1

2

3

4

TOWN INDEX

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

TOWN INDEX

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - C (Page 3)