Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

CEDAR MINES. A coal mining town about three miles west of Albia. A busy place for a few years. Post office 1872-98. Monroe


CEDAR RIVER. In the northeastern part of section 33, Cass Township, on the west side of the Cedar river. Post office from 1841 to 1849 when the name was changed to Gower's Ferry. (see below) Cedar


CEDAR TOWN. Laid out as a town in the southeast quarter of section 34 and the southwest quarter of 35, Goshen Township, on the west bank of the cedar river, as found at the time of the orginal survey in 1837. Muscatine


CEDAR VALLEY. In section 33, Cedar Township, about three miles below Washburn. Post office, 1856-81. Black Hawk


CEDAR VALLEY. In the northwest corner of section 19, Gower Township. near the west bank of the Cedar River. A village formerly the location of extensive stone quarries. Post office, 1893 and still running. Cedar


CEDAR. A place shown on various maps from 1855 to 1862 at or near the present village of Waubeek. Linn


CEDARVILLE. A post office from 1860 to 1864, and later from 1866 to 1868 at or near where later was the town of Lexington.  Washington


CEDARVILLE. The name first given to the post office at Fonda and which it carried from 1871 to 1873. Pocohantas


CENTER HILL. Listed as a post office in Washington County in 1851 and 1852, but the location not found. Washington


CENTER VALLEY. In southern part of Waterloo Township. Post office, 1857. Allamakee


CENTERVILLE. A hamlet in the southeastern part of section 16, Prairie Springs Township, as shown on maps of 1875. Jackson


CENTERVILLE. In the southeast corner of section 12, Yell Township, on the west bank of the Des Moines River. Laid out in I855. It was prosperous, but only

for a few years. Boone


CENTRE TOWN. In the northern part of Vernon Township. Post office, 1849-53. Dubuque


CENTRE. A post office (1853-81) in the southern part of Buchanan Township. Page


CERES. A hamlet in the southern part of Garnavillo Township. Post office, 1863-93. Clayton


CERRO GORDO. A post office (1853-63) on the Missouri River in Saint Mary Township a short distance below the mouth of Mosquito Creek. Mills


CESSFORD. In section 22, Fairfield Township. Post office, 1867-69. Cedar


CHALDEA The pioneer name of Centerville. Platted in 1846. The post office was Chaldea from 1846 to 1847 when the name of the post office and town was changed to Centenville. Appanoose


CHANDLER. A place in section 24, Madison Township, as shown on maps of 1868 and 1869. Mahaska


CHANDLER. A post office from 1858 to 1880 near the northeast corner of section 23, Liberty Township. Keokuk


CHANNINGSVILLE . In the southwestern part of Center Township Post office, 1851-59. Dubuque


CHANTRY. In the northeastern part of section 12, Lafayette Township. Platted in 1857. Was an embryo town site on the Mississippi. Allamakee


CHAPIN. A village platted in 1858 in sections 36, Richland, and 31, Clinton townships. It was abandoned in the early 1873’s on the building of the railroad two

miles to the east and the laying out of the present village of Chapin. Franklin


CHARLESTON. The name of the present town of Sabula from 1837 for a few years. That was the designation of the post office 1837-1846 . Jackson


CHARLOTTSVILLE. A post office from 1858 to 1861 in section 24, Jackson Township. Madison


CHASE. In the southwest corner of section 33, Madison Township. Post office, l868-1902. Johnson


CHATHAM. The post office (1851-81) for the town of Littleton (see here) Buchanan


CHATTANOOGA. In the south central part of Adams Township. Post office, 1857-67. Dallas


CHEROKEE. The old town of Cherokee in section 22 and 23, Cherokee Township, about two miles northeast of the business section of the present city of

Cherokee. Platted in 1857. The post office was established in 1861 and a block house for protection against the Indians was erected in 1862. Cherokee


CHEROKEE CENTER. In east part of section 28, Cherokee Township, in the western part of what is now the city of Cherokee. Platted in 1856. It became a

town on paper only. Cherokee


CHERRY. A post office (1857-62) in the northern part of Cedar Township. Mahaska


CHERRY WOOD. IN the soughern part of section 6, Center Township, Post office 1853-55. Clinton


CHESTER CENTER. A post office (1877-1903) in the southern part of section 10, Chester Township. There is still a store there. Poweshiek


CHESTERFIELD. A village that became a part of the town of Gilbert, which sea below. Chesterfield had a post office by the same name from 1883 to 1903.

Polk


CHEQUEST. A post office in Lick Creek Township from 1851 to 1871. It seems to have moved from farm house to farm house for several years and then

located at the hamlet of Dunnville, sometimes called Noseville, but platted in 1851 as Pleasant View, on the north side of section 32, Lick Creek Township.

There was another Chequest at a later date (see below). Davis


CHEQUEST The name of the post office from 1885 to 1905 at the hamlet in section 4, Union Township, previously known as Gandytown, also Noblesville,

and later Halltown. The post office had Just previously been called Hall (see below). There was another Chequest at an earlier date (see above). Davis


CHICAGO. Near the southeast corner of Washington Township, as shown on maps of 1862-1878. Dallas


CHICKASAW. In section 21, Chickasaw Township. Platted in 1854 and an important town for several years. Post office, 1855-1903. Chickasaw


CHICKASAW CENTER. The orginal name of the present city of New Hampton. Chickasaw


CHICKASAW STATION. The original name of the present town of Ionia. Chickasaw


CHISHOLM A coal mining town in the southern part of Pleasant Township. Post office, 1883-1909. Monroe


CHRISTIANSSBURG. A hamlet in the northern part of section 27, Polk Township. Post office, 1859-72. Wapello


CHURCHVILLE. A post office in the early 1860's in the Eastern part of Hickory Grove Township. Scott


CINCINNATI. A village platted in 1857, in section 22, Cincinnati Township, on the banks of the Missouri River, and about one mile south of the present village

of California Junction. Harrison


CIRCLEVILLE. A place in section 34, Allen Township, some two miles southeast of old town of Avon, as shown on maps from 1855-1868. Polk


CIVIL POINT. In section 23, Audubon Township. Post office, 1879-81. Audubon


CLANTON. A post office from 1859 to 1894 located in various farm houses in Monroe Township, in 1875 on the north line of section 1. Madison


CLARENDON. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1885 as a post office in Ida County, but not found on the maps of that period. Ida


CLARK. The first name given to the present town of Everly. Platted as Clark in 1881 and listed as Clark in the U. S. Postal Guide from 1885 to 1897. Clay


CLARK'S FERRY. A post office (1838-39) at or near the present town of Buffalo. Scott


CLARK'S POINT. Another name for Clarksville, which see below. Monroe


CLARKSTOWN. The former name of the present town of Green Island. Jackson


CLARKSVILLE. An embryo town three miles west and one and one-half north of the present city of Albia. Competed with Princeton (now Albia) for the county

seat in 1845. Clarksville had the first post office in the county, 1846 to 1847. Monroe


CLAY MILL  A village in the southern part of section 10, Clay Township. Post office, 1863-1902. Jones


CLAYFORD. A post office, 1861 to 1902, in the eastern part of section 7, Clay Township, Jones


CLAY'S GROVE. A post office from 1857 to 1863, and again from 1868 to 1892 in the southeastern part of section 29, Marion Township. Lee


CLAYTON. The name of the present town of Macedonia for a brief time of its first existence, as shown on maps of 1887. Pottawattamie


CLEAR CREEK. In section 34, Union City Township. Post office, 1857 -79. Allamakee



Page 2 of 4

Page

1

2

3

4

Page 2 of 4

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

Page

1

2

3

4

TOWN INDEX

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

TOWN INDEX

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - C (Page 2)