Astor small town in sections 33 & 34 of Nishnabotna township Crawford County IA about 1/2 mile north of the Crawford -
Shelby County line (follow link for more info)
Bell or Belltown. A former station and hamlet on the C. M. & St. P. Ry. in section 34, Paradise Township.
Boyer River. The pioneer name of the present town of Deloit.
Como. In section 3, Charter Oak Township, as shown on maps from 1878-1887.
Coon Grove. In the northeast corner of Washington Township. Post office, 1875.
Crawford. The pioneer name (1885) of the settlement later called Dowville, and which finally became the present Dow City.
Hohenzollern. In setion 23, Morgan Township. Post office, 1893-97.
Johnsonville. In the southwestern part of Stockholm Township, Post office, 1900-03.
Kiron. In the northeast corner of sectin 7, Stockholm Township. Founded about 1867. The coming of the railroad to that vicinity in 1899 caused the building of the present town of Kiron one mile west of the first Kiron, which eventually ended the life of the old village.
Lydia. The former name of the post office at the present town of Arion.
Morgan. In the southwestern part of Otter Creek Township. Post office, 1877-93.
Otter Creek. In section 31, Otter Creek Township, as shown on maps of 1881.
Paradise. In section 5, Union Township. Post office, 1863.
Iowa Ghost Towns
Donation. Thank You!
Crawford County, named after William H. Crawford.
The secretary of the United States Treasury serving from 1817 to 1825
Used with permission from the State Historical Society of Iowa
Established January 15, 1851
|EZ County Index with Towns|
|EZ Town Index with Info|
|Town Listing Index|