...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

BALAKA. Listed in the Iowa State Gazateer of 1865 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period.


BARTLETVILLE. In section 19, Franklin Township. Post office, 1853-59


FOLGER. Listed in the U.S Postal Guide as a post office in Clarke County from 1893 to 1897, but not found on maps of that period.


FREEHOLD. Listed in the U.S. Officeal Register of 1855 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period.


GLENN'S. In the southeastern part of Franklin township. Post office, 1851-65.


GREEN BAY. A village on the south line of section 30 and the north line of section 31, Green Bay Township. Post office, 1863-93.


HICKORY POINT. In the northern part of Liberty Township, as shown on maps from 1855 to 1862.


HICKORY POINT. In the northwestern part of Liberty Township, as shown on maps from 1855 to 1856.


JACK CREEK. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide of 1893 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period.


JACKSONVILLE. A village in the southeast corner of section 24, Liberty Township, as shown on maps of 1875.


LA HARPE. Listed on the U.S. Official Register as a post office in Clarke County in 1877 and 1878, but not found on maps of that period.


LAPORTE. In section 2, Madison Township. Post office, 1855-69.


MIDDLEPORT. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1889 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period.


MILF0RD. In the northwestern part of Troy Township. Post office, 1855-69.


NORRIS. In the northwestern part of Troy Township, as shown on maps of 1855.


NORTONVTLLE. A village in the southwestern part of section 13, Fremont Township. Post office, 1871-75.


OAKLAND. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1869 as a post office in Clarke County, but not found on maps of that period.


OTTAWA. In the eastern part of Jackson Township. Post office, 1855-73.


PRAIRIE GROVE. A village on the east line of section 5, Washington Township. Post office, 1853-97.


RILEY. Shown at different periods, first in the northwestern part of Knox Township, in the eastern part of


DOYLE TOWNSHIP, and later in the southeastern part of Troy Township. Post office, 1859-69.


SHELEY’S. Near Tile southwest corner of Green Bay Township. Post office, 1857-67.


SMYRNA. In the northwestern part of section 20, Franklin Township. Post office, 1865-1900.


WHITE BREAST. Near the western border of Green Bay Township. Post office, 1851-57.

Clarke County  

named after James Clarke.

The last Governor of the

Iowa Territory




Established January 13, 1846

Clarke County

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact Us form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED