...and More!
Iowa Ghost Towns

Welcome to...

County was named after John Calhoun.

Vice President of the United States,

1825 - 1832




Established January 15, 1851

Calhoun County

BROOKLYN. In section 27 and 34, Lake Creek Township. Location selected by commissioners in 1855 for the county seat, and the town staked

off.  The people by vote rejected the location, and no town was built, but the place got on the maps of that date.


BURNS. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Calhoun County in 1897, but not found on the maps.


CALHOUN CENTER. In section 19, Center Township. It was a village that aspired to be the county seat and appears on the maps in 1880.


CRANDALL. Listed in U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Calhoun County in 1897 but not found on maps.


EADS. Located immediately east of the present town of Lohrville. Laid out in 1882 and some improvements made, but lost in the race with Lohrville.


ELM GROVE. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Calhoun County in 1893 to 1897, but not found on the maps.


KISSEMMEE. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office but not found on the maps.


MOSLEY. Former name of the present town of Sherwood.


MUDDY. In section 3, Cedar Township. It grew to a small village. Post office, 1893-97, The coming of the railroads to Somers ended Muddy's Career.


SCHONBERG. Listed in the U.S. Postal Guide as a post office in Calhoun County in 1893 to 1897, but not found on the maps.


TWIN LAKES. In section 31, Sherman Township. Post office, 1867-89.


YATESVILLE. In section 22, Lincoln Township. Post office, 1867-69.

EZ County Index

If you have any information about any of these towns, please share with us via our Contact form.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED