Welcome to

Iowa Ghost Towns ...and More!

BENTONVILLE. A village and station on the C., B. & Q. R. R. about five miles northwest of Corydon. Post office, 1887-95. Formerly called Peoria,  Wayne


BEREA. In section 18, Eureka Township. Post office, 1897-1903. Adair


BERKELEY. In floence Township, about one mile eastr of the present town of Norway, as shown on maps of 1863.  Benten


BERLIN. A busy village in its day on the line between sections 22 and 23, Jackson Township. Post office 1863-78. Hardin


BERLIN. The name of a post office at the town of Parkhurst (see Parkhurst). Post office from 1839-1845. Scott


BERNINA. In the northeastern part of Black Oak Township. Post office, 1892-1902. Mahaska


BETHEL CITY. A post office in the southern part of Clay Township about two miles west of the present town of Tracy. The name was Bethel City from 1875 to 1883, and was Bethel until it was discontinued in 1884. Marion


BETHEL. A post office (1897-1904) on the east side of section 24, Highland Township. Washington


BETHEL. In sectin 4, Bethel Township. Post office, 1859-77. Fayette


BETHLEHEM. A town platted in 1853 in the southeast corner of section 24, Union Township. Prosperous in its day. Post office, 1852 1902. Wayne


BETHLEHEM. The name first given to the village of East Plattsmouth.  (See in Mills County). Mills


BEULAH. (Late Potato Hill). In northwestern part of Conton Township. Post Office, 1857. Benten


BIDDICK. A post office from 1893 to 1902 in the southern part of Pilot Grove Township. Montgomery


BIG GROVE. The early name of the hamlet that later became the town of Oakland. Big Grove was the name of the post office from 1856 to 1881.

(See Bristol)   Pottawattamie


BIG GROVE. The name of a post office near or at the location where now stands the town of Fremont, in 1848. The post office of Big Grove was changed to Fremont in January, 1819.  Mahaska


BIG MOUND. A hamlet at the common corner of sections 19, 20, 29 and 30, Cedar Township. Post office 1852-1903. Lee


BIG SPRING. A post office (1875-1901) in section 17, Jefferson Township. Wayne


BIG SPRINGS. A post office from 1863 to 1869 in the northeast corner of Oakland Township on the Iowa River. Louisa


BIG WOODS. Listed in the U. S. Official Register of 1847 as a post office in Jones County, and mentioned in the History of Jones County, by R. M. Corbit,

but not found on maps of that period. Thought to have been in Castle Grove Township. Jones


BIGLER'S GROVE. Listed as a post office in 1869, and shown on maps in the eastern part of Magnolia Township. Harrison


BINNS. A post office from 1875 to 1878 in the northern part of Fremont Township. Page


BISMARCK. A town in section 6, Farmersburg Township. Platted in 1875. Post office, 1873-1900. Clayton


BISMARK. Laid out as a town in 1876 in section 36, Pleasant Township, on Grand River, but never built up. Union


BLACK HAWK CITY. A village laid out in 1848 in the southwest corner of section 7, Village Township, south of the Des Moines River und opposite Iowaville.

It became extinct about 1861. Van Buren


BLACK HAWK. A post office from 1895 to 1901 in the southern side of section 29, Marion Township. Davis


BLACK HAWK. The first name of Toolsboro, which see below. Black Hawk was a post office from 1837 to 1841. The government surveyors of 1938 report

in their notes of finding this village and that it had six or eight houses. Louisa


BLACK WALNUT. A post office from 1868 to 1871 and from 1879 to 1881 in the southern part of Walnut Township, near the West Fork of the Des Moines

River.  Palo Alto


BLACKMORE. A post office (1880-95) in section 8, Monroe Township. Ringgold


BLADENSBURG. A village laid out in 1853 in the southeastern part of section 9 and the northeastern part of section 16, Pleasant Township.

Post office, 1855-1906. Wapello


BLAINE. In section 26, Maple Valley Township. Post office, 1877-1900.   Buena Vista


BLAIR. A post office in the early 1860's in the southeastern part of Washington Township on Silver Creek. Pottawattamie


BLAIRCOWIE. The name first given, and for a short time only, to the present village of Osgood. Palo Alto


BLAIRE CITY. About one mile northeast of the business section of the present city of Cherokee. Plattted in 1869 in expectation of the Illinois Central depot being

located there. Cherokee


BLAKEVILLE. In the northeast corner of sectin 26, Bennington Township. Post office 1856-97. Black Hawk


BLESSING. In section 35, Lincoln Township. Post office, 1897-1900. Black Hawk


BLIEDORN. In the southeast corner of section 14, Grant Township, Post office, 1900-03.  Clinton


BLOOMFIELD. Shown on maps of the early 1840's as a town laid out in the western part of Jones County on the north bank of the Wapsipinicon River. Jones


BLOOMFIELD. The name given the village of Ashton (which see above) when it was first established, but which it retained but a short time. Monona


BLOOMING PRAIRIE. A post office from 1878 to 1882 in section 25, Garfield Township. Pocohantas


BLOOMINGDALE. A post office in 1857 and 1858 in section 135, Jefferson Township. Madison


BLOOMINGTON. A post office (1856-64) near the southwest corner of Elkhart Township. Polk


BLOOMINGTON. A post office from 1875 to 1880 and again from 1888 to 1890 in the northeastern part of section 10, Riley Township. Ringgold


BLOOMINGTON. A town laid out in 1857 in the central part of section 25, Franklin Township, about two miles north and one east of the business section of the present city of Ames. The first term of the District Court was held there. Its post office (1858-67) was called Camden. Story


BLUE CUT. The name first given the present village and railroad station of Amber. The post office was Blue Cut from 1873 to 1878. Jones


BLUE POINT. A post office (1860-72) in the northern part of section 26, Washington Township. Poweshiek


BLUE POINT. A post office near the northwest corner of Black Hawk Township, as appears on the maps of 1855, 1856 and 1857. Jefferson


BLUFF CREEK. A post office in the northern part of Bluff Creek Township from 1859 to 1863, and again from 1886 to 1907. Monroe


BLUFF CREEK. A post office in the southeastern part of .Jefferson Township from 1854, with a few intermissions, until 1866. Mahaska


BLUFF DALE. The original name of the post office (1817-53) at the present village of Kingston. Des Moines


BLUFF POINT. Former name of the present town of Turin. Monona


BOARDMAN. A railway station on the Northwestern, and a post office from 1878 to 1883 in the southern part of Lafayette Township, about two miles north of Gilbert. Story


BOIS d'ARC. In the southern part of Grant Township, as shown on maps from 1863-1887. Grundy


BOLTONVILLE. A post office (1871-73) in the southwest corner of section 26, Iowa Township. Iowa


BON ACCORD. The name of the post office from l859 to 1897 at the Village of South Liberty. Johnson


BOOMER GROVE. A post office from 1863 to 1864 in the central part of Boomer Township. Pottawattamie


BOONE SPRINGS. In section 5, deep Creek Township. Post office, 1850-71.  Clinton


BOONE STATION. First name of the post office at Montana. Post office, I866-67. Boone


BOONE. According to the maps this post office, which existed under that name from 1853 to 1869, occupied locations in different parts of Boone Township,

but finally came to the site of the present village of Booneville. Dallas


BOONEVILLE. In northern part of section 33, Des Moines Township, just south of the corporate limits of the present city of Boone. A post office was

established there in I850, but on the county seat being established at Boonsboro it was removed to the latter place. Boone


BOONSBORO. The county seat of Boone County. It was located in the northwest quarter of section 29, township 84, range 26, in I851 and the town laid onto

It was a post office from I853 to 1901. It was included in and became a part of the incorporated city of Boone in I892. Boone







Page 2 of 4

Page

1

2

3

4

TOWN INDEX

Page 2 of 4

Page

1

2

3

4

TOWN INDEX

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page.    The county is listed in Green.

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - B (Page 2)