AARONVILLE - In December, 1853, the Town of Aaronville was laid out by Aaron Wright in Section 33 in Polk Township. Jefferson


ABBYVILLE. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide of 1889 as a post office in Delaware County, but not found on maps of that period. Deleware


ABSECUM. The name of the post office (1855-59) at the point where the railroad station of County Line is located. Jefferson


ACERSVILLE. In the northeast quarter of section 19, Delaware Township, about two miles north of the business section of the present city of Manchester.

It was laid out as a town in 1854, but the name was soon changed to Delaware Center, which see below. Deleware


ADAIR. In the southeastern part of section 13, Washington Township, Post office 1853-73 Adair


ADAMSONVILLE. In the western part of Buena Vista Township. Post office, 1877-78. Jasper


ADAMSVILLE. A post office in Marion Township in 1851. Discontinued in May of that year and Nottingham post office, located in the same township beginning

the same year with the same postmaster (Benjamin Adams), it seems only a change of names of the post office. Nottingham post office continued until 1859, and

was probably moved from house to house, finally being at or near where the Black Hawk post office was later. Davis


ADAVILLE. A hamlet and post office (May 31, 1889 - August 31, 1904) in the southwestern part of Johnson Township. A store and church still remain.

Plymouth


ADDISON. In section 26, Corinth Township. Post office, 1869-1903. Humboldt


ADVANCE. In the northwest corner of section 22, Richland Township. Post office, 1871-82. Guthrie


AETNA. A former station on the C., B. & Q. R. R. about three miles east of Corydon, as shown on maps of 1909   Wayne


AGENCY. A place shown on the early maps of the 1850's in the same location as Old Mission, as shown on later maps. Winneshiek


AGRICOLA. A town laid out in 1854 in the southwestern part of section 3 and the southeastern part of section 4, Pleasant Grove Township.

Post office, 1854-81. Mahaska


AJAX. A post office in the early 1880’s located in a store in the south section 13 of Grove Township, the extreme southeast corner of the township. Davis


ALAMAAKEE. South of the mouth of Paint Creek, section 10, Fairview Township. Platted as a town in 1858, but soon abandoned. Post office, 1859-1877. Allamakee


ALASKA. A post office in Jones Township from 1868 to 1869, located near the present town of Thayer. Union


ALBA. A post office (1861-81) in the northern part of section 20, Jackson Township. It ran as Alba a few months in 1861 previous to the change of the name to New Alba. Winneshiek


ALBANY. A village in the western part of section 14, Westfield Township. on the Volga River. It was started in 1854 and was largely devoted to the milling

business. Fayette


ALBANY. A village on the line between section 6, Marion Township, and section 1, Union Township, Appanoose County, the village being part in each county.

The post office was first in Appanoose County from 1857 to 1861, and then in Davis County from 1861 to 1901.  Davis


ALBATON. A hamlet in section 9, Fairview Township. Post office, 1877-1901. Monona


ALBERTON. Laid out as a town in section 10, Dayton Township, in 1857, but never built up. (See Stories of Towns Past)  Iowa


ALBRIGHT'S. In the southern part of Benton Township. Post office, 1849-65. Des Moines


ALDRICH. Listed as a post office from 1882 to 1891 in Wright County, but the location not found. Wright


ALEXANDRA. The early name of the present village of Douds. Van Buren


ALGONQUIN. In southeastern part of Washington Township. Post office, 1855-65. Butler


ALICE. A post office from 1882 to 1902 in section 5, Spring Grove Township. Linn


ALICE. In the southwestern part of Palermo Township. Post office, 1871-97. Grundy


ALIMEDA. Laid out as a town in 1859 north of and adjoining Fredonia, and later made a part of that town. Louisa


ALISBURG. A place near where now stands the town of Lehigh, as shown on maps of 1862. Webster


ALLEN. In section 26, Allen Township. Post office, 1897-1903. Harrison


ALLEN. In the southeastern part of Jackson Township. Post office, 1853-55. Guthrie


ALLEN’S GROVE  A post office from 1850 to 1851 and from 1854 to 1902 in section 27, Allen's Grove Township   Scott


ALLENVILLE. A hamlet platted in 1882 in section 3, Highland Township. It has since become a part of the present town of Bayard. Guthrie


ALLISON. The name of the post office from 1865 to 1877 at the village of Luxemburg. Dubuque


ALMA. A post office in section 28, Butler Township, in the early 1890’s. Jackson


ALMA. In the north central part of Taylor Township. Post office, 1855-57. Dubuque


ALMIRA. Listed in the U. S. Postal Guide as a post office in Delaware County from 1889 to 1893, But not found on maps of that period. Deleware


ALMORAL. In section 11, Oneida Township. Laid out as a village in 1857, secured a post office the same year and kept its existence many years. Deleware


ALPINE. A post office (1860-72) in section 18, Washington Township. Wapello


ALTAMOUNT. A post office (1868-74) in the eastern part of Fairview Township, about six miles southeast of Harlan. Shelby


ALTON. A hamlet at the west edge of the site of the present city of Perry. Post office, 1859-69. Dallas


ALTON. In section 1, French Creek Township, near where French Creek flows into the Upper Iowa Hiver. Village platted in 1858, only a few lots sold, and no

town built. Allamakee


ALTONA. The name of the post office from 1857 to 1859 at Hillsboro. Louisa


AMADOR. A hamlet in section B, Adams Township. Wapello


AMARILL. In Honey Creek Township. Post office, 1857-58. Deleware


AMAZON. The name of the post office from 1850 to 1851 at the village of Richmond, which see below. Madison


AMBOY. A post office (1851-62) in the southwestern part of Oregon Township. Washington


AMBROSE. A post office (1897-1900) in section 28, Dayton Township. Iowa


AMBROSIA. A post office from 1840 to 1857 in the southwestern part of Montrose Township. Lee


AMERICAN CITY. Laid out as a town in 1848 in Summit Township a short distance northwest of the present village of Otley, but never developed. Marion


AMISH. In the western part of section 22, Washington Township. Post office, 1857-1903. Johnson


AMITY. The name first given to the present town of College Springs. Amity was platted in 1856. Page


AMITY. The name of the post office at the present village of Maysville, from 1851 to 1902 Scott


AMITYVILLE. In the southwestern part of Huron Township. Post office, 1871-79. Des Moines


AMOY. Listed in the U. S. Official Register as a post office in Jackson County from 1847 to 1848, but not found on maps of that period. Jackson


AMSTERDAM. A villige in the southwestern portion of section 29, Avery Township, About one mile northeast of the present town of Goodell. It was laid out in 1858. It's post office was named Upper Grove, which existed from 1857 to 1885. Hancock


AMSTERDAM. Laid out in 1848 on the location now occupied by the present Wabash Railway station of Howell. Amsterdam had big plans for a short time.

Marion

 


Page 1 of  2

Page

1

2

EZ TOWN INDEX PAGE

Page 1 of  2

Page

1

2

Have any information about one of these towns? Share with us via our Contact Page!    The county is listed in Green.

TOWN INDEX

©2005 Iowa Ghost Towns ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Iowa Ghost Towns

Town Index - A